Sing Me a Song

Rick, Aaron, and I had decided to sleep in the back of a cargo truck for the night.

Or rather they decided to sleep while I opted to clean my knife. There was no way I was gonna get to sleep.

Part of that had to do with the fact that I couldn't get Carl out of my mind. Or the butterflies that seeing him created in my stomach.

Suddenly, Rick and Aaron woke up at the same time.

"What time is it?" Aaron asked.

I checked my watch. "Just past 5:30."

He looked at me. "Did you get any sleep?"

I shook my head. "I'm fine."

Rick grabbed his walkie talkie. "Let's go."

I stood up and grabbed all my things Aaron opened the back of the truck up, causing the light to blind me momentarily.

We hopped out of the truck and kept walking.

•••

About a half an hour later, we came up to a gate. There was a sign that read.

KEEP GOING
ONLY THING HERE
4 YOU IS TROUBLE

We stared at it for a moment.

"We have today and only today to find something," Rick reminded. "They could be back by tomorrow. Could be back now."

I nodded. "So let's go."

We hopped over the gate and walked in. I forced myself to ignore the cold pit in my stomach.

•••

We soon came through the brush into a clearling. We walked up to a sign with a long message.

My name is Leslie William Starton and I am armed with a Ruger 10/22 (crackshots can hit targets 10 yrds +); ars is 7 (sh*t you not!): ak-47, grenades (try me) and several handguns and rifles of antiquity (collector/enthusiast). You are not smart to have not listened to the first sign. You will not survive and my conscious will be clear because you have been warned. I will not hesitate to protect my home, my food, my ammo. Congratulations, the only way you have read this far without being shot at means that I'm dead. Have at it, *ssholes.

"This guy was armed," I stated. "Has food, supplies, ammo. But he's dead."

We sneakily walked past the sign and came upon a big pond. There was a floating shack in the middle with walkers surrounding it for protection.

"Looks like he protected his supplies," Aaron stated.

"Looks like they're still protected," Rick added.

"Today and only today, right?" I asked.

Rick hesitated. "Yeah."

"Then let's go."

I walked down to the lake, Rick and Aaron slowly following me a moment later.