Still Gotta Mean Something Part 2

I kept my eyes on the empty road as I drove towards Alexandria, trying to ignore the strange feeling of Enid sitting next to me.

Both of us had been silent ever since we pulled out of Hilltop, both of our minds heavy with our own thoughts.

I was terrified of seeing Alexandria again. The last time I was there was the worst day of my life. The prospect of going back actually made me glad I wasn't alone.

"We should play a game," Enid suddenly spoke up, tearing me from my thoughts.

I looked over at her in confusion. "What?"

"We should play a game," she repeated.

I chuckled. "We are driving down a walker-infested road, we could die at any minute, and you wanna play a game?"

"Yes," she confirmed. "We should talk about our favorite memories of Carl."

I tensed up. "Enid-"

"But nothing sad," she cut me off. "Only happy stuff."

I hesitated, returning my focus to the road.

"Come on, Bree," she said seriously.

I was silent for a moment before exhaling. "Okay, fine. You go first."

"Okay," she said softly, turning her gaze to the window to think. Finally, she chuckled. "We were reading comics one day and we had a full on argument over who the main character should end up with."

Despite my emotions, I burst out laughing. "Yeah, that...that sounds like him."

We laughed for a bit before she looked over at me. "Your turn. What's your favorite memory?"

I sighed as I thought, trying to keep the sad stuff out. I smiled as I finally found it.

"Our first kiss," I said softly, making Enid smile. "I had never kissed anyone before, and...it was amazing. But maybe that was just because it was with him."

Enid's smile lingered. "I miss him."

I sighed. "Me, too."

She reached over and gave my hand a squeeze.

•••

After what seemed like forever, we finally rolled up to the burned gates of Alexandria.

I stared at them as my heart rate picked up. I suddenly had the urge to turn around and never come back.

Despite that, I forced myself to open the door and slowly get out.

Enid met me around at the front of the car.

She glanced over at me. "Ready?"

I exhaled and shook my head.

She offered me her hand and, after a little hesitation, I took it, interlocking our fingers.

Together, we headed in.

———
An: sorry this chapter's so short. next one should be longer