Do Not Send Us Astray Part 2

I listened as Rick filled me in on his fight with Negan. Unease weighed down my shoulders the whole time.

"I tried really hard," he concluded. "But I couldn't kill him. I'm sorry."

I chewed on my nail and sighed. "It's okay," I whispered. "Thank you for trying."

He was silent for a moment before speaking again.

"How are you doing?" he asked.

I crossed my arms in discomfort, knowing he meant Carl, and sighed.

"It's still really hard," I admitted softly. "But...it's getting a little better. Maggie's really been there for me."

He nodded. "Good, I'm glad." A small, wistful smile came on his face. "He really loved you, you know."

The corners of my lips tugged upward a little. "Yeah, I know. I felt the same way about him."

We both fell silent, thinking about the boy we both loved and missed so much.

"I'm, uh," I finally said. "I'm gonna go see if anyone needs any help."

Rick nodded. "Okay."

I walked out just in time to see Daryl walk away from Tara, looking angry.

Confused, I jogged over to Tara.

"Hey," I greeted. "How's your shoulder?"

She shrugged. "It's fine. I'll be okay."

"Tara-"

"I'm fine," she insisted.

I finally gave in and nodded. I gestured to Daryl. "What was that all about?"

She turned her gaze to the ground. "Dwight."

I sat down and she did, too. "What about him?"

She sighed. "Daryl doesn't think we should trust him."

"Do you?" I asked, leaning my elbows on my knees.

She nodded. "Yeah, I do."

"Even with what he did to Denise?" I asked in surprise.

"He saved my life," she responded. "Do you think we could try to get him back from the Saviors?"

I took a deep breath. "I'll have to talk to Rick...but I trust him, too."

She smiled and pulled me into a hug. "Thank you."

I chuckled. "Of course."

We said our goodbyes and as I stood, looking out at everyone in Hilltop doing what they need to do, I had a sudden urge to see my dad. I hadn't visited his grave since before we went to see the Kingdom for the first time.

I walked to the graveyard which had grown exponentially after the fight. I looked at the sea of graves sadly before finding my dad's.

I slowly walked over and sat in front of it, hugging my knees.

"Hey, dad," I said softly. "I'm sorry I haven't visited you in a while. I just..." I stopped as I started to get choked up.

"I don't know what I'm doing anymore," I finished, my voice shaking from the tears I was holding back. "People, um, people say I'm a good leader but I can't bring myself to believe them. People have died because of me, dad. Good people. People who didn't deserve to die. I'm not a good leader."

I closed my eyes as a tear rolled down my face and I let out a quiet sob.

"I miss you, dad," I whispered. "I miss mom, and Glenn, and...." I stopped as I started crying. "And Carl."

I buried my face in my arms as I sobbed freely.

Soon, I heard Maggie's voice softly saying my name before putting her arms around me.

I leaned into her embrace as one thought ran through my head.

Will I be broken forever?

———
AN: hey y'all would you mind commenting your opinion of bree and any suggestions you have for her character? it would really help me