Four Walls and a Roof Part 2

We all kneeled around Bob as he tried to explain what happened to him.

"I was in the graveyard," he said, clearly in a lot of pain. "Somebody knocked me out. I woke up outside this place. It looked like a school. It was that guy, Gareth. And five other ones. They were eating my leg right in front of me. Like it was nothing. All proud like they had it all figured out."

"Did they have Daryl and Carol?" Rick asked gently.

Carl put his hand on my shoulder and I reached up and held it.

"Gareth said they drove off," Bob answered.

He groaned.

"He's in pain," my mom told Rosita. "Do we have anything?"

"I think there are pain pills in the first aid kit," she answered quietly.

My mom nodded, letting Rosita get them.

"Save them," Bob ordered, his voice strained.

"No," my mom disagreed.

I wasn't sure why my mom cared about Bob so much. I guess they talked a lot since we found them.

"Really," Bob urged. He pushed himself into a sitting position and pulled the neck of his shirt to the side, revealing a huge bite wound.

We all stared at it in horror.

"It happened at the food bank," he explained softly.

I moved forward. "It's okay," I whispered, ignoring the lump in my throat. I helped him lay down.

"There's a sofa in my office," Gabriel spoke up. "I know it's not much but..."

My mom turned to him and her gaze softened. "Thank you," she said genuinely.

"I got him," Uncle Tyreese offered. He picked Bob up carefully and brought him into the office.

I got up and walked to the window of the church, wiping away the tiny tears welling in my eyes.

Hearing someone come up behind me, I turned, expecting it to be Carl.

But it was Maggie.

She gave me a sympathetic look. "You alright, honey?"

My instinct was to say yes. My instinct was to lie. But for some reason, I didn't want to lie to Maggie.

I sniffled and slowly shook my head. She sighed sadly and pulled me into a hug.

Once I was feeling better, we walked back over.

"Does he have a fever?" Rick asked Michonne.

"He's just warm," Michonne answered.

"Jim lasted almost two days before we left him," Glenn reminded.

I gave Maggie a questioning look, not knowing who Jim was.

She gave me a look that said she would tell me later.

"Time for a reality check," I heard my dad say behind me.

We all turned and my mom came up next to me, rubbing my shoulder.

"We all need to leave for DC right now," my dad continued.

Rosita got her stuff and headed over to him, but the rest of us didn't move.

"Daryl and Carol are gonna be back," Rick told him. "We're not going anywhere without them."

"I respect that," my dad replied immediately. "But there, a clear threat here to Eugene. I need to extract his ass before things get any uglier. So if y'all won't come, good luck to you. We'll go our separate ways. Come on, Bree."