Still Gotta Mean Something Part 3

(AN: this one's emotional. be ready)

As I walked through Alexandria with Enid, memories of that horrible night forced their way back into my mind, causing me almost physical pain.

It felt like Enid could tell. She didn't say anything and kept a tight grip on my hand.

I felt horrible for her. This was her home before it was mine.

Finally, I spoke up. "We should, um...we should split up. We'll get things done quicker that way."

She nodded. "Okay." She gave my hand one more squeeze before heading off in the opposite direction.

Though she tried to hide it, I could see her wipe a tear from her cheek.

•••

I walked into the house I used to live in with my parents, clutching my dad's necklace.

It was one of the few houses that wasn't destroyed in the attack.

Searching the house, I found some of my old comics (though I couldn't muster the willpower to take them), my dad's favorite book that I vowed to read, and my mom's ring that I immediately put on.

I walked back out of the house and the realization of what I had to do next made me stop.

I closed my eyes before taking a deep breath and continuing on.

•••

As I got to Carl's grave, I was surprised to see Enid already there.

"Enid?" I asked softly, not wanting to surprise her.

She turned to me. Her eyes were red.

I immediately went over and pulled her into a hug. She wiped her tears and pulled away.

"Sorry," she mumbled.

I rubbed her shoulder and looked over at the grave.

I sighed sadly. "Do you think you could give me a minute here?"

She nodded, understanding. "I'll...meet you back at the car."

She walked off and I slowly sat in front of the mound that covered Carl.

I took a deep breath. "Hey," I greeted, forcing a smile on my face, hoping that somehow he could hear me. Not knowing what else to say, I cut to the chase, reaching into my bag.

"Um, you wrote me a letter, so I thought I'd write one back," I explained. I took the folded paper out and smoothed our its creases.

I closed my eyes for a moment and wiped a tear  from my cheek before slowly beginning to read.

"Dear Carl,
I can't even remember what's happened this past week. Everything's been a blur, I don't even know how I've kept myself alive. But I have. Because you were right. I can't give up. Not when I have people depending on me. Thank you for showing me that."

I stopped and closed my eyes as a tear slid down my face. I took a deep breath before continuing.

"I hope you know how much I love you. How much I appreciate everything you taught me. I'm never gonna forget you, Carl.
I love you so much,
Bree."

I closed the letter and placed it on Carl's grave, putting a rock on it to weigh it down. I kept my hand on the mound of earth for a few moments before slowly getting up.

Finally, I forced myself to turn away. Enid was waiting for me.