Reunions part 1

Eugene had changed into Glenn's riot gear a few hours back as we continued to walk.

Glenn walked at the front of the group and my mom, Tara, and I were close behind him.

Soon, we came to a train tunnel.

Glenn ran up to it.

The same message from Maggie that we had seen on the sign was written again on the wall.

He touched the letters.

"We're gaining on them!" he called to us. "The blood is still wet."

"We sure as Shinola can't go up and over," my dad pointed out.

There were walkers snarling from inside of the tunnel.

"How about we go around?" my dad suggested.

"No," Glenn denied. "That would take a day, maybe more. If Maggie went through, I'm going through. We're close."

"Shut up a second," my dad said and walked up to him.

"You hear that?" he asked as the snarling continued. "That right there is a long, dark tunnel filled with reanimated corpses. I don't have full-on certainty I can get Eugene through there alive. My recommendation would be take the day, make the detour and play it safe, but I know you're not gonna do that. So this is where we gotta part ways."

I sighed and crossed my arms. I really didn't want to separate from Glenn and Tara but I knew we didn't have a choice.

"I'm sorry," my dad continued. "You're on your own." He kneeled down and started digging through his bag.

"No, you're not," Tara said, stepping forward.

My dad pulled two cans of food out of his bag and offered them to Glenn.

"No, no, no," Glenn said quietly. "Those are yours. You guys will need them for your trip."

"You will, too," my dad said back, not moving.

Tara limped forward and took the food, smiling a little in thanks. He also pulled out a flashlight and gave it to Glenn.

"Thank you," Glenn whispered. "Sorry I hit you in the face."

My dad chuckled. "I'm not. I like to fight."

Glenn smiled.

I walked over and stood in front of him.

"Sorry I slapped you," I apologized.

He chuckled. "It's alright, Bree. You know, there's a guy in my group that I think you really would've gotten along with. He's around your age."

I nodded thoughtfully. "Well, when you find him," I said. "Tell him hey for me."

He smiled and nodded. He pulled me into a hug.

I smiled and hugged him back. For once, I actually felt like I was going to miss someone.

"Good luck finding your wife," I whispered.

He sighed. "Thank you."

We let go and I smiled, stepping back.

"Good luck," Rosita said and hugged him quickly. "Try not to be an ass."

She hugged Tara.

I hugged Tara after her.

My mom hugged both of them quickly and the three of us regrouped with my dad and Eugene.

"You're both good people," Eugene said, clearly trying to be sincere. "And I have to say that you are seriously hot, Tara."

"Yeah, I like girls," she responded awkwardly.

"I'm well aware of that," he responded.

Glenn and I laughed a little.

Tara nodded and started to walk inside.

"Say you get into trouble in there," my dad called out.  "You turn around. We're doubling back to the first road we crossed. Maybe you find us before we find the right ride."

Glenn seemed to think about it for a moment. "Thanks."

My dad nodded. The five of us slowly turned and walked away.

"Hey," my mom said softly, walking next to me. "You okay?"

I looked at her and lightly nodded. "Yeah. They'll be alright."