Coda

After around 2 hours of driving, we finally arrived back at the church.

I was so happy when my dad told me we were going back. It felt like we were going home.

Everyone was outside when we pulled up. My dad couldn't break very well so we drove into the steps of the church and we lurched to a stop.

I chuckled. "Smooth," I joked and got out.

"Bree!" Carl called with a smile on his face.

I smiled and walked over to him. We hugged and I remembered how much I had missed him.

He pulled away. "You okay?"

I nodded happily. Nothing could ruin my mood at this point. "Yeah, I'm okay."

He reached into his pocket and took my necklace out. "Here. Figured you'd want this back."

I smiled softly and took it. "Thanks." I put it back around my neck.

"By the way, why are you guys back? I mean, not that I'm not happy about it, I am, but I thought we'd be meeting you."

I sighed and played with the necklace. I took a deep breath.

"Eugene lied," I informed. "He can't stop it. Washington isn't the end."

Carl seemed shocked. "I'm sorry."

I sighed and sniffled. "Yeah, me, too."

We turned as we saw Michonne walk up to Maggie, a smile on her face.

"Beth's alive," she said happily. "She's at a hospital in Atlanta, but the others went to get her back. That's where your mom is, Bree."

"Do we know which one?" Maggie asked, seeming about to cry from happiness.

Michonne nodded. "Grady Memorial."

Maggie hugged Glenn happily. I smiled and ran up to them. Maggie pulled away from Glenn and hugged me tightly. I laughed, so happy for her.

"Let's blow this joint," Tara said, a smile on her face. "Go save your sister."

•••

I stared out the window of the fire truck as we made our way to the hospital to get Beth. I ran my finger over my necklace.

Carl, who was sitting next to me, nudged me softly.

"You okay?"

I looked over at him and sighed. "Yeah. I guess so." I looked back out the window.

He waited a moment before taking my hand, causing me to turn to him again in surprise.

"You're not okay, Bree," he said. "What's wrong?"

I hesitated before taking a deep breath. "Part of me always knew Eugene was lying about being a scientist. I could feel it. He would never specifically say what his plan was, he would always use the 'it's classified' like. I knew he was lying. But it still really hurt when he confirmed it. That doesn't make any sense."

He sighed and squeezed my hand. "Yes it does." He chuckled a little. "It's like Santa. You always knew he wasn't real, but part of you still wanted to believe he was. Part of you still wanted to believe you were were being ridiculous and that you would still save the world once you got to Washington."

I shook my head in wonder at him. "How do you do that?"

He looked at me in confusion. "Do what?"

"Always know what to say."

He chuckled. "Trust me, I don't. I guess it just comes easier with you."

I felt my cheeks heat up and I stared at the floor.

•••

Soon, we got to the hospital.

We all got out. We walked towards the hospital doors, guns drawn. I took deep breaths, willing myself to not be shaky.

The doors opened and Rick walked out.

I could see a hopeful look dawn on Maggie's face.

Rick slowly shook his head as my mom, uncle Tyreese, who was supporting Carol, and a guy I didn't recognize walked out. Soon, Daryl walked out, carrying a body of a young girl, a little older than me.

It took Maggie dropping to the ground wailing, and Glenn kneeling down to comfort her to know that the body used to be Maggie's sister.

Beth was dead.

I covered my mouth with my hand and felt a tear roll down my face.

I could tell Carl was really upset and I grabbed his hand, holding it tightly.

Daryl was crying. He must have been close to Beth.

My mom walked up and pulled me into a somber hug. I hugged her back but I couldn't stop looking at the sight.

Was everyone just gonna lose everything?