Chapter 10

Daphne's POV:

I woke up at about...1:00 AM?!?! I NEVER wake up that early! I'm pretty sure no one does. I got out of bed, careful not to disturb Red, and walked over to the window.

There were pixies buzzing around there, but I could tell it wasn't to annoy me. They seemed distressed. So I decided to open the window and let them in. Then I would take them to Puck.

I carefully opened the window, trying not to make noise or anything. Red stirred in her sleep, but otherwise didn't move. I ushered the pixies in, glad that they weren't biting me, just fluttering about.

"Do you, um, need to see Puck?" I felt so weird talking to them.

They twittered in response and since I couldn't speak Pixie-ish or whatever, I took that as a yes and led them out of the room.

The pixies followed me down the hall and straight to Puck's bedroom door. It was locked.

"Now what?" I asked them, frustrated.

They glowed a little brighter and then literally broke the door down as a group. Wow, pixies were strong.

We found Puck sleeping in his bed with his unicorn Cuddles or something.

I crossed my arms and walked over. "Puck!" Nothing happened. "Puck!!"

He jumped up on his bed. "What?! What are you doing in my room? And how did you get into here?!"

I uncrossed my arms and said, "You still sleep with Cuddles? Aren't you thirteen?"

"His name is Kraven the Deceiver!" Puck complained.

"Whatever. The point is that I found your pixies going crazy in front of my window and I decided to take them to you."

Puck immediately looked around her and stared at the pixies. "What?"

The pixies seemed to talk to him in a kinda-sorta way and then Puck's face grew serious.

"What?" I asked nervously, since Puck was almost never serious.

"The Scarlet Hand are back."

Puck's POV:

I paced around my room after Daphne left. The Scarlet Hand were back! This was so bad!! What if Sabrina got hurt?!

What am I thinking?!

I tried to ignore that weird train of thought about Sabrina. It was not like me to think stuff like that! I hated growing up! I shouldn't even be growing up!!! Ugh!

Whatever. What are we supposed to do about the Scarlet Hand? Most of the Everafters are gone from the town! I guess I should tell the old lady...

It was 2:00 AM right now and she would definitely be asleep. Oh well. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I remembered to take a feather from my room as I walked to the old lady's room.

She was snoring. I tiptoed up and tickled her nose with a feather and she sneezed, but kept sleeping. I did it a few more times until she smacked her face and woke up. I ducked behind her bed.

"Puck!" she yelled. "What are you doing here at"—she checked the alarm clock—"at 2:05 AM?!"

"Um, I—"

"And put that feather away!"

"I need to—"

"You should be asleep!"

"You have to kno—"

"Were you bothering Sabrina?"

"THE SCARLET HAND ARE BACK!!"