Chapter 41

Sabrina's POV:

I paced around the living room, Puck watching me with a worried expression. Pinocchio was upstairs in his room.

Daphne was gone!

She'd actually gone with Ember!

To the Scarlet Hand's fortress!

To!

The!

Scarlet!

Hand's!

Fortress!!

I groaned and covered my face with my hands. "This is bad bad bad bad bad."

"Well technically there's nothing we can do," Puck reminded me. "We just have to hope for Ember and Daphne to come here and tell us what they've found out."

He hesitated. "If their plan works..."

"Shut up!"

"Sorry."

I sighed and sat down on the couch next to Puck. The adults were all at the dining table. None of them knew what to do either.

There'd been a kind of silent agreement between them that there was nothing they could do about this situation. Even though this is Sabrina's point of view and she doesn't know this, the author is telling you this as to not cause later confusion.

Anyway, back to not breaking the fourth wall.

Puck sighed. "I'm sure she'll be okay."

"You know things are bad when you start saying stuff like that," I muttered.

He rolled his eyes. "Well sorry for trying to make you feel better!"

I covered my face with my hands again. "What am I supposed to do?"

"Can't you check in on her with the mirror?" Puck asked, raising his eyebrows at me.

I gasped. "PUCK. THATS AN AMAZING IDEA! HOW'D I NOT THINK OF THAT?! YOU ARE AMAZING!" I grabbed the sides of his face and kissed him, then ran off to find the mirror, leaving him sitting there stunned.

Daphne's POV:

"Right. And she wants to join us?" Erift cast me a suspicious look. "I'm supposed to believe this?"

Ember sighed. "Why would I ever betray you, brother? I spent some time with them and I found out so many useful things! We can beat them; they're completely disorganized. Right, Daphne?"

I nodded, trying to hide the way her lie had put me off. It sounded as if she were telling the truth. "I honestly don't see the point of being on their side anymore." I nearly winced as I said that, feeling a pang of guilt.

"And why is that?" Erift asked, his red eyes glinting. "Your whole family is there."

I shook my head and forced the words out. "They're not my family. I hate them." The words tasted sour on my tongue and I fought the urge to grimace.

Ember gave me a nearly imperceptible, sympathetic look.

"Huh. This is an interesting development." Erift crossed his arms. "Well, I trust my sister, so... She'll show you your room."

He waved us off, and it was clear the conversation was over. Ember starting leading me through the tunnels, not saying a word.

They're probably listening to us right now, I thought bitterly. Don't say anything you'll regret.