Chapter 53: Truth or Dare Part 8 and 1/2

Daphne's POV:

Ember stared at me, her mouth hanging open. "No way," she said. "It's too dangerous."

"Is not. It's a perfect cover!"

"We're gonna be found out," she said, sure of herself.

I had called her over as soon as I'd realized a fairly good idea for getting information out of Erift. It was perfect!

Not according to Ember.

Shut up.

"Please?" I asked. "I'm not going to be insanely obvious, or anything. I'm not that stupid."

Ember sighed, rubbing her forehead. I just don't know... If we mess this up..."

"We won't," I insisted. "I promise. There's too much at stake for us. Also, I'm sure he actually wants to talk to me but hasn't had the time to, or something. If you suggest this, I don't think he'll have much of an excuse to say no. And then we can see Morgan and Mordred afterward."

Ember frowned. "...Fine. Fine. I'm just worried."

"I know." I tried to block out my nerves. "Yeah, I know."

***

Erift narrowed his red eyes. "What kind of 'game' is this?" he asked in suspicion, frowning. He didn't look very pleased to see me.

"It's fun," Ember promised, but I could tell she was still nervous. "Just something to lighten up the mood around here, you know?"

"There's no mood that needs lightening," Erift grumbled—moodily.

"Clearly," Ember said, raising an eyebrow. "So... Can we? Daphne and I are dying of boredom down here, and you could take this chance to get to know her better."

I crossed my arms and fought the urge to stick out my tongue at Erift when he glared at me.

"She's what, eight—"

"—ten tomorrow," I corrected.

"—which doesn't make her seem like much of a valuable asset."

Ember sighed. "Oh, brother. You're not thinking rationally." When Erift bristled she quickly continued, "You're taking into consideration only the fighting side of things. But Daphne has information."

I could tell Erift was internally cringing at his own stupidity.

"I'm right," Ember insisted. "Come on, let's give this a try. You've never played Truth or Dare."

The shapeshifter scowled, but held open the door to his room... well, rooms. The area we stepped into was kind of like a living room, with a short hall leading off to the side to what must have been the bedroom.

A single table sat in the middle of the room, a few chairs around it, and a couch along the wall. I would've expected there to be a TV somewhere, but I doubted they got good reception down here.

Erift led us to sit around the table. He sighed heavily. "So?" he asked impatiently.

I had to bite my lip to not laugh. The weirdness of this situation was beginning to hit me. Here I was, underground in the Scarlet Hand's base, with a magical alicorn necklace around my neck, about to play Truth or Dare with an evil shapeshifter.

I should write a book someday.

"I'll start," Ember said nervously, raising her hand. "Daphne, truth or dare?"

I grinned. "Dare. I never back down."

Erift watched us, eyes narrowed.

"I dare you to..." Ember hesitated. "I dare you to draw a moustache on my brother."