Chapter 52

Sabrina's POV:

A knock sounded at the door, and Mom rushed to open it, clearly knowing who it was.

"It's about time," she muttered under her breath.

"I called them late," Dad said sheepishly. "I kind of forgot when I found Jake and Briar..." He gestured vaguely to the two, who were hanging onto each other and giggling quietly.

"Called who?" I asked, confused.

"While you were on your little... escapade...," Mom sternly eyed me, Puck, and Pin, "I mentioned that we should call Snow and Charming. It's time we make a move and put an end to all this, once and for all."

"Woah, woah, woah." Dad moved his hands in a "hold up" gesture. "We need to talk first! What was happening when I walked in?"

Mom unlocked the many locks on the door and waved in Snow and Charming. "I guess that's a story worth telling."

Puck snorted from next to me. "Oh, it's worth telling, all right."

"Where are Granny and Tobias?" I asked suddenly, realizing I hadn't seen them in a while.

"Upstairs," Mom answered. "Tobias is nailing the windows shut again—better safe than sorry. And last I heard, Granny was distracting Elvis because he found some sausage and tried to get it."

"Huh."

"But now that I think about it," Mom continued, "they should hear this story too."

"What story?!" Dad asked in exasperation.

"An interesting one," Puck supplied.

"That doesn't tell me anything!"

Puck shrugged. "You snooze, you lose."

Dad glared at him fiercely and Mom laughed nervously. "Okay, I think it's time to actually tell that story."

***

Telling the said story was rough going. Dad and Charming kept interrupting to ask unnecessary questions, while everyone else kept up poker faces until the end. It made us uneasy.

"So how many times have you lied to us in the past few days?" Dad asked eventually, and the three of us simultaneously scratched the backs of our necks, sheepish.

"That in itself speaks volumes," Mom said, rolling her eyes. "But really, I'm just glad you're all safe. This has been a crazy couple of days... weeks."

"We're not all safe," Pin mumbled, bringing up the thought of Daphne. And Red. And Morgan and Mordred.

"It's Daphne's birthday tomorrow," I reminded everyone quietly.

"We're gonna get her back by then," Puck said confidently. "We have to."

No one mentioned the fact that we might not.

***

I walked into the kitchen. Briar was there, leaning against the counter. She was staring at the floor.

"Hey," I said gently, and she startled. "We... we never really got to talk. How... how have you been? It must be crazy."

Briar smiled, but it was strained. "Yeah. It's hard. I miss all of you so much, and it's weird because at the same time it feels like I've been here the whole time. Like I haven't missed a day. But there's this awareness in me that knows this wasn't supposed to happen."

"Wasn't supposed to happen? As in... Dark magic?" I asked tentatively.

She shook her head, her green eyes thoughtful. "No. Definitely not. It's kind of comforting, really. I just know that whoever's up there"—she stared upwards—"wasn't planning for this to happen. But I don't think... I don't think it's bad."