Chapter 31

Veronica's POV:

I ran down the stairs, clutching my phone in my hands. I'd been in the middle of playing the piano when I'd gotten the phone call.

"Henry! Jake!" I exclaimed, rushing to where they were sitting at the table, books all around them.

Henry looked up first. "What?" he asked. "Did something happen?"

I nodded. "You could say that. I was playing piano but then I got a phone call from Sabrina."

"Do you know where she is?" Jake asked, putting his book aside and grabbing another one.

I shook my head. "It was Puck's voice, I'm almost completely sure."

Jake's eyes widened. "How?"

"I don't know but there were sounds in the background like muffled laughter so I'm guessing Daphne was there."

"Well, call back," Henry suggested. "If it was Puck, what did he say?"

I waved my hand, not willing to tell him that another one of his daughters liked an Everafter. "It wasn't anything important."

"You sure?"

"Yeah." I unlocked my phone and called Sabrina's number.

Sabrina's POV:

I jumped in surprise when my phone started ringing and accidentally dropped it.

I cringed and scooped it back up.

"Put the ringer off!" Daphne hissed. "And who is it?"

I looked. "Oh, schist! It's Mom."

Daphne winced. "Then answer and talk as quiet as possible. We don't know what's going on out there."

I obliged and put the phone to my ear. "Uh...hi, Mom."

"Sabrina!" she exclaimed. "Where are you? I got a call from you a couple minutes ago and I thought I heard Puck."

Puck shook his head at me.

I did my best to sound heartbroken. "Mom...he's still wherever he is. I've been checking on the mirror."

Daphne covered her mouth and tried not to laugh, as did Puck. I glared at both of them.

"Then what about the voice that I heard over the phone?" Mom asked.

"Um... I don't know who that was. I never called you."

"You didn't?"

"Yeah."

"Where are you and Daphne? And Red and Elvis? It's 3:00 and we can't find you."

"Uh. We're at Bella's."

"Really? Since the morning? We'll come get you; Henry and Jake need help with the books."

"No, we don't!"

"No, no, it's okay! We're doing our own studying over here!" I exclaimed.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes!"

"Okay. I love you. Tell the rest I said hi."

"'Kay. Love you."

I hung up and said, "We're going to have to get out of here. Maybe Analia can come up with a spell to send us back. We can promise to look for Alice, and then come back here if we find her."

Red nodded. "And maybe when everything is fixed here, the Wonderlandians can help us with the Scarlet Hand."

"Sounds like a plan," Ember said. "Now we just wait and hope nothing bad's happening out there."