Chapter 16

Sabrina's POV:

I knew Daphne could tell that I was planning something, and I hoped she wouldn't get into it. I raised the mirror up to my face and said, "Show me the magical orb that the coven created."

The mirror shimmered and swirled and shimmered some more. I guessed that Baba Yaga had put a protection spell on the orb. But I still watched the mirror's half-frosted glass, hoping. After a full five minutes, a large, jagged crack spread through the mirror.

I panicked, but it kept swirling and shimmering, swirling and shimmering. A second crack, this time as thin as a strand of hair, spread out from the large one. Just when I was sure that the mirror was never going to be usable again, a spark flared in its center, then flowered out to the edges.

A bright flash blinded me for a good three minutes, but when I could see again, my eyes widened. A sphere of bright, glowing white light floated in front of me.

What? But...this mirror only shows stuff...

Daphne popped her head through the door. "You're welcome," she said, grinning. "The mirror was about to shatter, so I used one of Baba Yaga's wands to make it appear. Now, whatever you're planning to do, I'm doing too."

I shook my head and grabbed the orb. Its magic seeped into me and made me feel lightheaded. "No, Daphne. I'm doing this alone."

She crossed her arms, waved the wand that she was holding in the air, and the sphere of light appeared next to her. "Fine. Then you're not getting it." She turned her back on me and I swear she was smiling.

"Fine!" I exclaimed. I couldn't afford to use it. And it's not like I would let her come along anyway.

Daphne turned back around and tossed it back to me. "Good choice. So. What are we doing first?"

I caught the orb, glaring at her. "You could've broken it!"

Daphne frowned. "I'm pretty sure it can't be broken. It's not like it's glass. It's basically magic and energy."

"But it's not pure magic?"

She snorted. "Of course not! Only the Blue Fairy has pure magic. That orb of light that she sometimes turns into is pure magic. That's what Uncle Jake got when he became the Blue Fairy for a little while."

"Alright, alright. I don't need a lecture."

Daphne shrugged. "You asked the question."

"Whatever."

"Anyway, what are we gonna do now?"

"First we have to figure out how it works," I said. "What did you try already?"

She shrugged. "Um...I tried throwing it on the ground, threatening it, smashing it against the wall... stuff like that."

"Well that limits our choices."

"Yeah. Hey, I bet the Master is someone we know really well because that's what happened with Mirror," Daphne suggested.

I frowned. "Yeah, but Mirror became good in the end and this Master definitely isn't gonna change, whoever he is."

"And why's that?"

"Whatever. Maybe there's some clues in Puck's room."

Daphne muttered, "Stalker," but followed me anyway. At the last moment, I remembered to hide the orb under my pillow.

We opened the door and there was Erift, standing right in front of us.

Fudge, I thought. I forgot all about him.