Chapter 54

Henry's POV:

We stood in front of Baba Yaga's strange house. No one moved, and I really hoped we'd keep it that way. But...

"Can we literally just go in?" Charming asked, frustrated.

"Thank you." Mom sounded exasperated, but she'd known very well earlier that Jake and I hated going to Baba Yaga's home. That house... I shivered, staring at its chicken legs.

"Charming, what happened to you?" Jake asked teasingly. "You were always such a wimp."

"You realize you're calling yourself a wimp by saying that," I pointed out, and Charming snorted a laugh. Jake mumbled a "whatever" and fell silent.

Mom sighed, grabbing both our hands and leading us up the steps to knock on the door. Charming moved to the back of our line, and I raised an eyebrow at him. Before Mom could knock, Baba Yaga's crackly voice called, "What do you want?" It was filled with annoyance and we—excluding Mom, of course—exchanged nervous looks.

"This is urgent. You know who it is."

There was a clattering inside and some grumbles, but Baba Yaga actually opened the door without too many complaints. "Is it really that time again?" she asked sighing heavily. "Oh what am I saying, of course it is." I struggled to avoid her gaze; her lazy eye was looking at me from a completely different angle than her other eye. Had it always been that way?

"Bunny!" she called. Her voice was so raspy I had to cringe whenever she spoke too loudly. It sounded like her vocal chords would, I don't know, break? Is that what happened? Either way, the dryness of her voice made it seem like they could snap at any second. "The Grimms are here."

"And Charming!" Charming added. "I... I'm also here."

She eyed him for a moment and wrinkled her hooked nose a bit. "Clearly."

Charming looked offended.

Mom swatted both our arms, though I had no idea why I was in trouble, and muttered under her breath, "Boys, this is not the time for games. We've got serious business to attend to. Seems we've killed two birds with one stone; Bunny's here. Now we only need Morgan. So please, let me do the talking."

The three of us nodded. Baba Yaga, who had retreated back into her house, stepped back into the doorway with Bunny behind her. Bunny smiled grimly at us. "I've been doing some studying up on spells and the like over here for the past couple days. We have a lot to discuss."

"Is there any way we could contact Morgan le Fay?" Mom asked. "I know you need to form a coven for the barrier spell. I would suggest Daphne, but... Well, she's as much trapped as Morgan. And overall, I'd prefer if a grown woman and not a nine-year-old child perform said spell."

Bunny looked thoughtful. "I'm sure there is. You want to do this as soon as possible, yes?"

"Yes. We'd like to stop them before anything actually happens. Who knows what they're planning? It's so silent..."

Baba Yaga actually nodded at this. "We can talk about it here."

"Uh—" Mom shot Jake a warning look, but he continued anyway. I admired his bravery. "Um. We're still getting other people, so... maybe it would be better if we went back to our house?" I breathed a sigh of relief when the two witches nodded, Baba Yaga albeit reluctantly.

"I'll get the spell books we'll need," Bunny offered, and we were standing there again with only the older witch. She stared us down—as best she could, considering the dilemma each of her eyes was having in which direction to look—and I shivered.