A Change For The Worst

STEF POV

As I dialed the hosptial yet again the nurse for some reason put me on a much longer hold then usual as Callie and Mariana sat anxiously waiting beside me. I could only let out a soft smile but panic started to fill my body until someone picked up the line.

"Ms. Foster hi it's Dr. Stevens." his voice sounded heavy very different from last night when he appeared optimistic.

"Hi Dr. I am calling too..

"Yes. Listen are you sure she has no other family?"

"Why?"

Silence now took over the other end as my stomach was turning and I glanced to Mariana and Callie again who looked as if they were holding their breath as well and I was well aware they would need to leave the room. Something was not right.

"Loves why don't you go brush your teeth ok?"

"But what about mama?" Callie questioned more worried then ever.

"Your mama is ok love. I'm just on hold and will be for a little bit. So why don't you go on and brush them. Ok honey?"

As the two girls looked straight at me I knew Callie wasn't buying it and it was against my better judgment that I should have made this call on my own.

"Go on honey. That way we are ready to go when I'm off the phone. Go on sweetheart."

Her eyes continued to study my face as if she was trying to conclude whether I was being honest or not. But fortunately she did as she was told taking her sisters hand and heading into the bathroom. It was then I walked out into the balcony closing the door behind me.

"Doctor what is going on?" I asked more worried then ever.

"Ms. Foster we had Ms. Adams Richards monitored all night. All through the morning. But unfortunately she had a seizure and slipped into a coma."

"What? Why didn't anyone call me? When?"

"We were going to but we were tending to her it was a very critical time and we needed to give her all attention we could and ascertain her condition before informing anyone."

Putting my head down I could only let out a sigh as I shook my head and the once sunny sky turned gray and gloomy.

"Listen we are doing what we can and will continue to do what we can for her. She has suffered a tremendous amount of internal damage especially to her head. We will keep her in ICU for sometime. We just don't know."

"I don't understand. I just don't. What don't you know? Whether she will make it or not?"

"Yes. We don't know. We can only continue to watch her and try to treat her the best way we can."

There was nothing I could say. What in the hell could I say as I took a seat on the chair feeling a headache come on wondering what in the hell I was going to say to Callie and Mariana.

"I know she has two children. Are they ok?Do they have a relative to look after them?"

"Yes they are with me. I'm taking care of them."

"And they have no other family?"

"No. They don't."

"Ms. Foster. I am not a pessimist. Not by any means but I don't know how this is going to turn out. I don't. You may have to think of who will take care of these children in the long run."

Ignoring his concern I could only shake my head as the migraine continued to grow.

"Listen I will be by shortly to be with her."