A New Life

STEF POV

It had been almost three months since the girls had been living with me and since I had become their primary guardian. Unfortunately, Lena's condition had virtually remained unchanged despite all the efforts from the doctors we had to sit and wait. However, I continued to take the girls to see her every other day to bring flowers, read books and decorate her room with pictures. Remaining optimistic had been one of my goals for them but deep inside I was growing more and more concerned the longer Lena remained in her coma for both Callie and Mariana were growing increasingly upset.

During the past few weeks I had taken them to the counseling services the hosptial offered and they suggested returning them to school as soon as possible which I did. Creating a sense of normalcy and a routine for them they could rely on while their mother was trying to get better was the most important thing they informed me. I agreed but it didn't mean it wasn't difficult for Callie had mild breakdowns at school from time to time and Mariana went back and forth between talking and remaining silent. Some days it was impossible to get them to go for they wanted to remain with me at all times. To make them more comfortable I ordered twin beds for them and decorated the bedroom with their favorite Disney characters painting the walls a pretty pink. However, they still rarely slept in the room for each night the both of them would wake up at least six or seven times from nightmares and crying their eyes out for Lena and would end up on the pullout couch with me. It was tough and some days were much harder then others. However I made sure to do as many fun activities as possible with them such as taking them to the movies, the park, the playground, fairs, the zoo and the beach. Some days I really saw their innocence come out, some days they were so carefree and full of joy completely unburdened by life.

FLASHBACK

"Stef can we have tacos for dinner?" Callie asked as the three of us sat on the sand eating ice cream cones. It was warm day for October and as I looked down I could see Mariana's was melting as she sat between my legs. Quickly I grabbed her cone licking the sides for her and handing it back.

"Yeah you want tacos sweetheart? Not spaghetti?" I asked smiling

"I want spaghetti." Mariana said as she lifted up her cone once again letting me have more of her ice cream.

"Uh oh we might need to flip a coin." I joked looking to Callie as I could see her cone was dripping as well. "Lick the sides baby so it doesn't drip too much on your hands."

Looking to it she did as I suggested smiling wide at me.

"How about spaghetti tacos?" she soon said.

"Spaghetti tacos?" Mariana said as I couldn't help but laugh at them.

"Yup tacos with spaghetti in it. Can we have that Stef?" Callie asked as she finished her ice cream and her face was a mess. Looking to Mariana her face was a mess as well filled with chocolate ice cream.

"I guess why not loves. But let me wipe these faces look at you both." Smiling I wiped Mariana's mouth as she looked to me smiling her widest. "Oh now I can see that pretty face of yours again sweetness." Softly I kissed her forehead.

"Baby come here let me wipe your mouth too." I said to Callie as she sat closer to me letting me wipe her mouth and sticky fingers." And how is that tooth coming. Ready to fall out yet?" I asked as she smiled again as it was Callie's first loose tooth and I had been urging her to let me yank it. But she insisted on letting it hang.

"Its wiggly. I keep pushing it with my tongue." she said showing me.

"Pull it!" Mariana joked as I saw her gently push Callie's tooth as all I could do was laugh." Pull it so the tooth fairy can come Cals."