Protect

STEF POV

"Ok loves I will just take a quick shower and we will leave. You will be ok watching TV for bit?" I asked as Callie laid on top of the couch all over the sheets and blankets I had yet to sleep on.

"Yes." Callie said.

"Ok. Stay put. Don't answer the door. Don't go on the balcony. Understood?"

"Yes Stef." She responded as Mariana nodded her head as well finishing the card up for their mother.

"Ok babies." I let out a smile as I walked into the bathroom leaving the door cracked.

After calling the hosptial Lena's condition had virtually remained unchanged and I had decided to take the girls. As much as I wanted to protect them and shield them from any trauma I knew how much they missed her but I had to be prepared for how they would react for that was unknown.

"Everything ok out there?" I yelled.

"Yes! Callie soon yelled back.

Satisfied I jumped in the shower with the water pressure on low so I could still here them and the TV. The water felt nice, it was warm and inviting as Mike and I had showered in here together many many times. It was hard for me the last few days not wonder what it would have been like if we did have children. Who knows maybe we had stayed together or maybe I would have been miserable or maybe we would have gotten a divorce anyway. There really was no hiding my attraction to women and I was pretty sure that would have broken up our marriage regardless of whether we had children or not. He had asked me on multiple occasions to get back together but I just couldn't do it even though we were married for ten years. Like I said it wasn't horrible but towards the end we argued about everything and everyday to the point where we would bring it to work.

FLASHBACK

"Soon as I walk in the door you start bitching at me. What the fuck did I do this time? Huh?"

"What don't you do! " I yelled throwing the mail down on the table and walking passed him annoyed.

"What you're going to bitch at me for what paying a bill late? For not picking up dinner? For what breathing? Huh?"

"Don't be an ass Mike!" I said frustrated grabbing a beer out the fridge.

"I'm the ass? Hey have you looked in the mirror you're no fucking peach either Stef. I'm tired of you busting my balls at work. I'm sick of it."

"Well if you did your damm job I wouldn't need to!"

"Are you kidding me! You're kidding me! I do my job!"

"Oh yeah? Showing up late? Showing up drunk? Yeah you really are doing your job. You deserve a medal for that!" I said sarcastically.

"You know what. Fuck you."

"Yeah fuck you too."

"Why I ever married you I'll damm sure never know! Let someone else deal with your bullshit and your need to control every fucking thing I do!"

"You know what get the fuck out and take your shit with you!"

"Yeah you don't need to tell me twice!"

FLASHBACK ENDS

After a year of constant fighting Mike transferred and we didn't talk for more then a year. However a few weeks after his transfer I found out I was pregnant. Never telling him for I had no idea if he was the father or not getting that abortion was the one thing I regretted more then anything in my life.