Progress

STEF POV

Popping an Advil for my head was killing me after that long conversation with my unsupportive mother I fixed my sheets and pillows on the couch in the living room once again for myself. In the distance I could hear Callie in the bedroom helping Mariana with her pajamas and I still strained to hear just a glimpse of Mariana's voice. But nothing yet for she had not even smiled yet. But I understood very much and I would remain as patient as possible with her. The day had been long, it had been grueling as I laid my body down just a for a second to rest. After visiting Lena in the hosptial and stopping by the girls house to pick up a few of their things, I went back to check on Lena, picked up some groceries and other products for the girls. My brain by this point was done for the last few days had worn me out. I was craving a cigarette more then I liked to admit and a drink. But that was not an option at all for my main priority was them and there was no way I could add any additional cloud to my brain.

I knew I would most likely need to order a few things while they were here. A pullout couch at some point as well as a few other things but right now I was just going one step at a time. I didn't want to do to much for I didn't want the girls to feel like they were moving in permanent thinking their mother was never getting better. But at the same time I needed to make sure they were comfortable and try to create some kind of normalcy for them. What was once a possible few weeks of me taking care of them was looking more like months. Taking things slow was absolutely necessary for their sake as well as mine as I now closed my eyes draping my arm over them for just a second. But that second was short lived as I heard small feet walk near the couch and opening my eyes I saw both Callie and Mariana standing beside me with a book. Only a smile could form on my face.

"Can you read this to us Stef?" Callie asked innocently.

"Of course sweetheart. Come lets go in the room." Standing up and walking behind them they climbed in bed as I sat on the edge and Callie looked oddly at me.

"Whats wrong honey?"

"Mama usually sits between us."

"Oh. Ok." Sliding my slippers off and climbing to the middle of the bed I rested my back on the headboard. Callie snuggled close to me and I was unsure if Mariana would but she sat just as close holding her bear.

"Ok lets see what we got here. Goodnight Moon. Can't say I have read this one. Looks good though." I said checking out the cover and back. Placing my reading glasses on I opened the book seeing a note written on the inside which I read to myself.

To my girls. I love you both to the moon and back. Always remember that. xo Mama

Letting out a smile Callie looked up to me as I was well aware she knew what the little note said.

"Mama gave us this book. We read it every night."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"How about when we go see her you read it to her. How does that sound?"

She nodded her head now leaning her head back down on my arm as I lifted it up wrapping my it around her as she snuggled more into me. Feeling Mariana now rest her head on my arm as well I did the same wrapping it around her as she too now snuggled into me and I softly kissed the top of both of their heads.

"Ok babies ready?" I asked turning the page. This was new for me I never read a kids book. Hell I never even babysat as a teen.

"Goodnight room, goodnight moon. Goodnight cow jumping over the moon."

As I continued to read on page after page Callie said some of the words with me but as I neared the end she had been very quiet. I had a feeling the both of them were sleeping as their breathing was now very quiet and they remained still. It would be a challenge pulling away from them for they were literally glued to me by this point. Carefully as I tried to move Callie's grip tightened even more as well as Mariana's. Realizing there was no way I was getting out of this without waking them I closed my eyes to get a little rest thinking at some point they would roll over off of me. But that never happened as we all slept through the night.