26

Chapter TwentySix - no escape.

"J-Jess, wake up!" I didn't want to wake her. But i didn't know what to do.

"Ummm" she began to stir.

"Babe, it's your mum. She's gone." Jessie shot up, her eyes wide open, alert and full of panic.

"What do you mean.. G-gone?" She frowned.

"She's disappeared, i don't, i don't know.." I mumbled. Jessie sprung to her feet and headed for the door. Just then, Rose was wheeled in by Stephen, Dr Nat by his side.

"Oh gosh, what's going on? Mum you're awake!" Jessie crouched down and pulled her mum in for a hug. She winced in pain, Jessie quickly released her.

"Jess be careful babe, her arms sore." Stephen scolded.

"Yes, please do be careful miss" Dr Nat added, a disapproving look.

"Sorry mum" Jessie gave a sympathetic smile, but her mum barely responded. Stephen and Dr Nat helped her in to bed, and within seconds she was asleep.

"Is she alright? What's been going on?" Jessie asked frantically.

"She's very tired. She's had a lot of pain killer, it's made her drowsy. We've just been for some tests and scans. We brought your mother out of her coma, her swelling has completely reduced and she is fine." He explained.

"So no brain damage?" Jessie cut to the chase.

"No brain Damage." The doctor confirmed. I saw her visibly relax, the relief in her eyes when she turned to smile at me. She looked like a child, who'd just learnt to ride their bike.

"Did you hear that Chlo? She's okay!" She grinned at me. I nodded, returning the smile.

We spent a bit of time sat with Rose. Jessie was not pleased that Stephen had let her sleep while Rose was brought out of the coma. I glanced at the clock, realising it was 5pm. Bloody hell.

"Come on babe, lets go get some food" Jessie smiled, taking my hand and leading me out of the room. She'd perked up a lot since she'd learnt that Rose was going to be okay. While we went to the hospital canteen, Rachel and Hannah went in to see their mum.

Jessie piled her plate high with food. I, however was not very hungry. I stuck with just a hot chocolate. We found a table in the corner, Jessie seemed a bit paranoid about people recognising her. Nobody here seemed interested in her though. Jessie literally shovelled her food in, she was soon finished.

"How was the hot chocolate then?" She gave me a warm smile.

"Good."

"Not as good as my hot chocolates i hope?" She winked. I smirked at her, so big headed.

"Never." I winked back.

"Is there anything you want to talk to me about baby? You can tell me anything you know." She placed her hand on my thigh. What was she on about? Why would i need to tell her anything? I shook my head.

"Are you not hungry? I could go back up and get you a sandwich? Some pasta maybe?" She suggested. Oh, that's what she was on about.

"I'm not very hungry. I think it's everything thats going on.. I've lost my appetite abit." I assured her. She didn't look convinced.

"Well, i'll cook you a proper Jessie-kind meal later, aye? That'll get your appetite back." Se grinned, pecking my cheek.

"Does that mean you're going home tonight? I thought you might insist on staying again." I mumbled, putting my hand ontop of hers.