44

Forty Four~you're engaged?

"You look shattered." I told Jessie as she yawned. We were making our way off the jet, we were back on home ground, and both a little anxious for it.

"Well I was planning to have an early night, but you kept me awake." She scoffed. "Then I'd thought I'd sleep on the plane. But you kept me awake." She wiggled her index finger in my face accusingly as we both entered a large black SUV.

"I'm sorry, but you weren't complaining when my hand was-" I was interrupted at the sound of a woman clearing her throat behind me, Jessie and I suddenly looked back to find her mum and dad sat behind us, in the boot of the car. I instantly felt my cheeks burn as I realised what I had been saying. Jessie flashed me a scolding glare and I recoiled in my seat.

"Sorry to interrupt ladies, we thought you might need a bit of support." Stephen smiled lightly, clearly amused by our embarrassment.

"Support?" Jessie questioned.

"When you get home. Have you not been told what to expect? Holly's been in touch with your father. We thought it best to have some moral support." Rose gave a sympathetic look.

"I hadn't really thought about it. I'd been trying to focus on anything but." Jessie sighed.

"There's no point in burying your head in the sand Jessica. I'm not sure you're going to want to be alone in that house though." Stephen placed his hand on Jessie's shoulder as her face fell.

"I hate to say this Jessie, but I'm not sure I'll feel safe in that house, anymore." I frowned at Jessie, as I remembered seeing a face in the back garden, and the note being posted through the door.

"No. We'll find somewhere new. We'll buy a house together." She clasped my hand and smiled sweetly. I froze for a second, how had I come so far in such little time? Not so long ago was I at home l, in cornwall, petrified of my mother. No I was living in London with my celebrity Fiancee, and we were talking about having children. My breath caught in my throat momentarily, and the reality hit me like a bus. It'd all happened so fast. A tear slid down my cheek. Jessie moved quickly to wipe away it's remnants.

"Sweetie, please don't." Jess edged closer on the car seat and unfastened her belt in order to reach out to me.

"Sorry." I hiccuped, snivelling on her shoulder. I glanced at Jessie's mum and dad, they were holding hands tightly, trying to look elsewhere in order to give us some privacy.

"Thank you for being here." I croaked, as they both turned their attention to me. Rose nodded politely as Stephen placed his hand on my head and ruffled my hair, just as a father would. I smiled at his small act. It meant alot. My dad had never done such things to me, I didn't really know what it was like to have a father.

I demanded Jessie put her belt back on and she held my hand firmly, just as Rose and Stephen did. We made our way back in silence, Jessie squeezed my hand occasionally, and I'd smile in return.

When the car finally pulled up at the drive of Jessie's house, it felt like we'd been travelling forever. I glanced out of the window and instantly noticed that Jessie's door was different. It had been replaced. I turned to look at the gates at the end of the drive. They were dented in several places. Jessie squeezed my hand once more and we all made our way out of the car. Due to the new door and new lock, we had to enter through the back door. Jessie fumbled with the key at the lock, failing to unlock the door several times since her hands were shaking. We both avoided looking through the windows, scared to discover the reality that awaited us inside.

"Chlo, I think I should tell you before we go in," Jessie paused for a second to glance at her parents. "I should warn you, your brother killed a policeman." My shoulders instantly sagged. I was partly relieved, there was no chance of my brother being let out of prison now. I wouldn't be seeing him for a very long time. However, I felt incredibly bad that a mans life had been lost, and he was in the process of protecting me.

"It happened in the living room. I don't think we should go in there." She stated flatly. There was not a chance I'd be sleeping in this house tonight. Not now, not ever.

"Jessie we can't stay here tonight. Please, we'll go back to my flat." I begged, I hoped she'd agree. I sure as hell was not leaving her alone in this house. She nodded in agreement. Knowing a man had been killed within the house, made it feel cold and eery as I followed Jessie into the kitchen.

"Gosh," Jessie breathed, her eyes scanning the mess. I smirked.

"What?" She asked, as I smiled slightly.

"You have to see the funny side. It's in such a state, you'd of never let it get like this. You and your OCD." I smiled. Jessie shook her head slightly and made her way down the hall way. She avoided the living room and tip toed over broken vases and shattered photo frames and glass.

"This is so surreal. It's like something out of a movie." Jessie began up the stairs. Upstairs seemed clear, not a thing was out of place and it was exactly how we'd left it. We entered our bedroom and everything was still the same, or so I thought.

"Girls?" Rose appeared at the door, she seemed hesitant. "At least everything up here is untouched." She half smiled, attempting to shed some light on this surreal mess. I returned her smile, but Jessie seemed transfixed by her dressing table.

"She took the fucking necklace!" Jessie screeched, slamming her fist down on the wooden dresser's surface. "What makes her think she has the fucking right! For fuck sake!" Jessie growled, her hands curling into fists.

"Jessie?" I was at her side in an instant, holding her fists. "What necklace baby?"

"Lily's necklace?" Rose asked, standing beside me. Jessie nodded.

"I don't understand? The necklace on your mirror?" I asked. I'd been very aware of the rose necklace that had always been draped across Jessie's mirror. I'd stupidly assumed it had been a present from her mother, since it was a rose and it looked so old and fragile. Jessie confirmed my suspicion with a nod. The necklace infact belonged to her dead fiancée.

"I forgot to take it away with us. Melanie must've taken it." She sighed, her jaw still clenched in anger.

"Come on, we need to get out of this place. Pack your things girls." Rose told us. Jessie and I instantly worked to pack things up. We took as much as we could but it was obvious we'd be back. Jessie has a lot of stuff. It was clear she was a bit of a hoarder.

We got in to Jessie's car and drove to my flat. Rose and Stephen were following closely behind in the SUV. I began to feel anxious at the thought of seeing Han. We'd spoken and she seemed to have forgiven me for my recent treachery. However, my apprehension was completely pointless it seemed. Han welcomed Jessie and me home with equally tight and suffocating hugs.

Han smiled sweetly at me as she handed Jessie and I both a cup of tea. We fell into the sofa while Stephen spoke to lawyers and insurance companies in an attempt to sort the house out.

"Where will you look for a house?" Han inquired, sitting opposite us. I looked to Jessie for an answer but she seemed lost in her thoughts. I gently laid my palm across her knee. Jessie shivered abruptly and face me with wide eyes.

"Sorry?" Jess prompted.

"Han asked where we'd plan to move to." I explained.

"I'm tempted to say Australia. But of course it'll have to be in London still, it's essential for me to be near the airport." She shrugged.

"It'll be our house." I smiled.

"You know the next step, aye." Han nudged my leg with her foot, winking at me. "You need to get engaged."

"Well, actually.." Jessie cleared her throat. Han instantly looked down at our fingers, obviously in search of an engagement ring.

"You're engaged?" Rose appeared in the doorway, her mouth wide open.