43

Forty Three - future

Not long after I fell asleep on the beach, Jessie found the water guns I'd packed and decided to squirt me. I was rudely awoken and as a result I picked her up, throwing her over my shoulder and then hauled her in to the sea. We spent a while playing like children with the water guns. We chased each other from one end of the beach to the other, several times. Eventually I became far too exhausted and out of breath to continue. I surrendered to Jessie at fear of an asthma attack.

"I'm bloody soaking wet." I groaned sinking into the warm sand.

"Are you now?" She smirked, falling on top of me and sprawling out. I rolled my eyes and blew out an exasperated breath.

"We can spend my birthday like this, sunshine, bikinis, water fights and just us." I kissed the top of her head, vowing to remember this forever.

"My mum really wants to do something for your birthday." She looked up, trying to gage my reaction.

"Why?" I wondered.

"I told her everything. You know, about your parents and brother and sister. She knows about it all. I'm really sorry, but I tell my mum everything. She won't tell anybody. It'll be between the three of us I promise." I had no energy to argue with her although it did annoy me slightly that she hadn't asked my permission before revealing my life story to her mother. Rose was different though, more of a friend than a mum.

"So she feels sorry for me and wants a party for me. Jessie you know I don't like sympathy." I sighed.

"Stop being so bloody proud and accept that people want to make you happy, will you?" She was smiling, but I knew she was being serious.

"Fine, lets have a bloody party. Knock yourself out." I gave in. Jessie always won. "This is not a fair relationship Mrs Cornish, you always get your own way." I grumbled.

"I know, but it's because I'm fabulous." She beamed running the tip of her index finger along my collar bone.

"Would you rather sex on the beach? Or shall I cook for you?" She grinned mischievously.

"Ah, neither. I have plans for you." I smiled, rolling her over onto her back. I kissed her then jumped to my feet.

"Do your plans involve sex?" She raised an eyebrow, rolling onto her front and pouting up at me.

"You're insatiable." I smiled, pulling her up. I packed away our things and pulled Jessie into my side.

We made our way back across the beach, hand in hand. When we entered the villa Jessie's phone was ringing. I left her to her phone call and disappeared in to the kitchen. The night before I had managed to buy a ready made lasagne without Jessie noticing. My plan was to cover myself in sauce and other ingredients then present her the lasagne, as home cooked meals. I quickly got to work, hoping to get it in the oven before she walked in. I shredded the packaging and pushed it to the bottom of the bin.

"Woah, you're cooking?" She gasped as she entered the large kitchen area.

"Don't sound so surprised, madam." I scolded, whipping her with the tea towel. She took the towel from me and wiped the sauce from my face.

"The best cooks make the most mess." She smiled. I nodded cautiously in agreement. "Smells like lasagne." She observed, before taking a peek inside the oven.

"I know you love lasagne." I smile sweetly before whisking her away from the crime scene. I pulled her over to the lounge area and sat her down. Jessie watched me carefully as I moved the coffee table out of the room and piled the centre of the rooms floor with throws and cushions. I then dimmed the lights and lit the space with scented candles before pressing play on the CD player. The beautiful sound of Who You Are filled the room and Jessie cringed slightly.