48

Chapter FortyEight- publicity pain

Jessie charged out of the room. I quickly followed her as she raced toward the door.

"Baby, wait!" I grabbed her wrist pulling her back.

"No. She's making a mug out of you." Jessie spoke sternly, yanking her wrist out of my grasp.

"But what if she's not? What if my mum is telling the truth and she is actually ill?" Sure, she probably was lying, but I didn't want to risk it. As much as I disliked my mother for everything that had happened, I couldnt leave her on the streets with cancer. I wasn't so heartless to do such a thing.

"I get it okay? She's your mother, you love her. Love is blind. So use your ears and listen to me. She's lying!" Jessie sighed with exasperation.

"But, what if she's not?"

"You believe her over me?" Jessie scoffed.

"Oh Jess, for goodness sake this isn't a competition for my attention you know?" It was my turn to scoff now.

"Are you serious? How self centred can you be?" She spat before turning and leaving the apartment. This time I didn't bother to run after her. I returned to my pathetic excuse for a mother and cleaned her up. I gave her water and food and sobered her up before leaving her on the sofa to sleep.

I finally sunk into my bed and groaned loudly. What a fuck up today had been. But at the same time, it has been fantastic. It had no doubt been my best birthday to date. I mean, even if Jessie and I weren't speaking, we were still engaged. I hoped.

Just then, as I began to wonder whether Jessie would decide she didn't want an ass like me as a fiancee, my phone buzzed. When I checked it, I'd received a text from Jessie.

'Remember that night you turned up at my door and woke me just to sleep beside me? You told me you couldn't sleep without me.' The text read. I smiled widely at the memory.

'I remember.' I replied quickly.

Within seconds my phone sang out again, notifying me of yet another text.

'That's one of the sweetest things you've ever done.' Jessie said. I smiled yet again. Then my phone went off once more. Jessie had texted me again.

'I remember waking up and watching you sleep and thinking how much I love you x' the fact Jessie said 'love' rather than 'loved' was probably a good sign. This wasn't her preparing to break up with me. Before I had a chance to reply I received another text.

'Do it again? I'm at my parent's house x' Jessie asked. I didn't bother to reply, I hopped out of bed, locked my bedroom door and grabbed my car keys. I was soon at Jessie's parent's house. I noticed a light on in the living room and peaked through the window. Jessie paced back and forth across the room in nothing but her underwear. Her phone was pressed to her ear and she looked panicked. At that moment I noticed my phone vibrating in my pocket. I whipped it out to see Jessie calling.

"Hello,"

"Chlo! Oh my, Please, don't ignore me, I miss you, I can't stand this! Please I have to see you. If you really don't want to come over, please, can I come to you? I need you, I-I can't sleep without you beside me. Please." She finally stopped speaking and blew out an exasperated breath. She obviously didn't think I was going to come to her house. She was worried, bless her.

"Baby, look out of the window." I whispered.

I watched as Jessie turned slowly to face me, and then she gasped down the phone. She wasted no time in dropping her phone and racing outside and pouncing on me. She threw her arms around my neck and wrapped her legs around my waist and kissed my mouth hard.