51

Chapter Fifty-One: New Beginnings

"Miss Cornish, has anybody ever told you that you talk far too much?" I asked sarcastically, my eyebrows furrowed. Jessie shook her head, gingerly.

"Listen, I agree. I think it's my mother too." I sighed at the realisation. I think I'd secretly known it from the moment she said she had a job with the Daily Mail. She gave herself away there.

"Really? Oh I thought you were going to take your mum's side again." Jessie glanced down at her fumbling hands, slightly ashamed maybe. I grabbed her by the waist and pulled her into me, snuggling down to lie beside her.

"Lets get some sleep. We'll sort things in the morning, okay?" I smiled, running my fingertips along Jessie's bare arm. She slowly mirrored my smile before pecking my nose. "I love you." I whispered as I pressed my lips against hers.

"I love you too." Jessie grinned. Only minutes later, she was snoring softly. I watched her chest rise and fall evenly, smiling at the thought of this woman being mine.

The following morning, Jessie and I sat down with her parents and we ran through things. They also agreed that my Mother was definitely the number one suspect for these stories leaked into the papers.

"I think perhaps I should speak to your mother. I think you've tried to handle her yourself for too long, Chlo. Let me see if I can help?" Stephen asked sweetly, placing his hand over mine. I smiled at how lovely he was being. The man was so kind and caring, his voice so soft and caressing.

I nodded in agreement. "I think that'd be wise. I don't know what to do anymore. She plays the guilt card on me and I fall straight in to her trap everytime." I sighed, ashamed of how gullible I was.

"She's your mother, you can't help that. It's just natural instinct and nobody blames you for that." Rose said, Jessie shuffled beside me, drawing my attention to her. "Do they Jessica?" Rose spoke up.

Jessie cleared her throat before shaking her head. "No, I get it. I think." She trailed off. Clearly she didn't get it. But that didn't matter, she didn't have to get it. I'd never wish these circumstances on anyone. I'd never want Jessie, especially, to have to be in this position.

Stephen and I left the house a while later, deciding to pay my mother a visit. Rose stayed home, keeping Jessie company. We all agreed it was best for Jessie to stay home, incase she tried to murder my mother. Then again, I might murder her myself, I thought.

The drive over to my flat was fairly comfortable, I was expecting it to be filled with awkward silences. Stephen was so easy going and friendly, we managed to maintain a constant conversation. We pulled up outside my apartment building and Stephen flashed me a supportive smile.

"Let me do the talking, and try not to worry." He smiled. We exited the car and made the way through the building. We both froze outside my apartment door, stunned by the sound of my mother yelling. I began to wonder who exactly she was arguing with, then I heard that all familiar voice.

"I know exactly what you've been doing. Chlo may be naive but I've been reading these papers, I know full well that you would stoop so low." Han scoffed loudly. "You'd do anything for money. Look at you, you're off your head. You're an alcoholic."

At this point, Stephen decided it was time to cross the threshold. We marched into the flat, finding my best friend, Han and my mother in the living room. The room was practically filled with empty bottles. I had an inkling that she was slightly drunk yesterday at court. But Goodness, clearly she was good at hiding just how drunk she was.

"Chlo!" Han exclaimed. My mother turned to face us, giving Stephen the once over.

"Hey Han, everything okay?" I asked, giving her the side eye. She gave me a hesitant nod, telling me things were not quite alright.