Argument to friendship

Nikki pov
I sat on a bottom bunk. The one Elaine usually slept on but she was letting me sleep on it. She was going to sleep on the bunk above.

"Hey Red. That's my bed." A woman said as she approached us.

"Denise its not your bed. We don't have assigned beds its first come first serve." Elaine said.

"Well Its got my initials on it so it's mine." Denise said.

"I can sleep on another bed. I don't want to cause any drama." I said as I got up.

There were no other beds available except on a top bunk. I didn't feel 100% safe climbing up and down that latter. So I let the room and went out and sat in a chair outside the dorms. A female social worker came up to me.

"Is everything alright Nikki?" She asked.

"Not really. Denise wanted my bed and being the one who doesn't want to get in a fight I let her have it. But the only other bed available was a top bunk. I don't wanna sleep there I'm going to be getting up a lot in the night and I don't trust myself climbing down a latter in the dark when I can't see my feet when I stand." I said as I rubbed my stomach.

"Well lets go see if we can sort this out."  The social worker got up and we went back to the room.

Denise was laying on the bed. Elaine was lecturing her but she wasn't being oblivious. A little girl was sitting as the end of the bed looking at Elaine and listening to her.

"Denise is it true you asked Nikki give up this bed." The social worker asked.

"A why? My kid and I need it." She said dripping in disrespect.

"Denise you have a child so you know what Nikki's going through so maybe you could let her have the bed back?" The socialworker asked in a sweet way.

"Why does she need it? She's just obese." Denise said.

"Did you just call me fat?" I asked.

A mood swing was coming on and my inner ginger dragon was fired up and wanting to break free.

"Well it's clear your not skinny. I saw you getting a second helping of food." She said.

"Well I'm sorry, I hadn't eaten since Breakfast, I had walked almost forty miles  in flip flops. My ankles are swollen, they hurt and all I want is a shower and to go to sleep. So tomorrow my husband and I can get money and get two tickets to Angel City so we can get back to our family before I have this baby. So if you would be kind enough to let a nine month pregnant woman sleep on a bottom bunk I would greatly appreciate that." I snapped.

"Ooh mama's got bark but does she have bite." Denise said as she got up.

I walked past the social worker. She started talking to us to have us stop. Denise was at least a head higher than me. She tried to use it to intimidate me but it didn't work.

"If anyone's got bark but no bite it's you Denise. I can tell that by just your attitude." I said as I looked up at her.

"Don't stick your hand in the fire, Red you'll get burned." She said.

I smiled and started laughing. "What's funny?" Denise asked dumbfounded by my laughter.

"You are. This is. Denise all I want is a bottom bunk if you want the bottom bunk for your daughter. I'll be happy to share it with her. The free bed is right next to it. You'll be able to watch her the entire night." I said with a smiled.

"What? She wets the bed like crazy." Denise said.

"I have three children. Two of which haven't mastered not wetting the  bed at night. I have been peed on so many times. She'll be fine." I said.

"Alright. Andy come here sweetie." Denise said as she called her daughter over.

"Andy?" I asked.

"Short for Antonia." Denise Said.

"That's my brother's name." I said.

"It's my brother's name also, he died a few years ago right after Antonia was born." Denise said.

"So did my brother." I said.

We both sat down on the bed and talked about our brothers. We had so much in common. We had gone from being in the verge of fighting to now chatting and giggling like teenage girls.

"Alright I really need to take a shower." I said as I got up.

When I finished I rapped my hair up in a towel and went to the bed. Andy was sitting there alone.

"Hey sweetie where did your momma go?" I asked.

"To shower." She said.

Andy already had her shower. "Okay," I said.

"Momma said you have a baby." She said.

"I do my baby's in my stomach." I said as I put my hands on my stomach.

"Is it a girl or boy?" She asked.

"It's a girl." I said.

"Does she have a name?"

"Yes her name is Delacey Alegrity." I said.

"That's a big name." She said.

"It is, my husband and I like long names so we can find little nicknames in it that we can call our children." I said.

At light's out Denise took Andy to the bathroom a final time and I got into bed. Yet Andy never joined me.

In the morning I found out Denise had Andy sleep with her instead.

__________________________
Dang I'm really getting back into this story.
-star