Paintings

Vinnie pov
My small squad of four men were on a mission into the edge of the bombing portion of Manhattan. We were looking for survivors.

"Clear, advance." Collins said.

We walked forward and we all stepped on a piece of woods. I knew this street. My gallery was on this street. I picked up the piece of wood 'Haven Gallery' I looked at the building. It was my gallery. I dropped the sign and ran to the glass window. I wiped as much dirt I could, off the window.

"Myers what is it?" Wiley asked.

"I need to get in there." I said.

I went to the door and broke the lock.

"What is this place?" Harper asked.

"Collins remember when I told you about my gallery?" I asked.

"Ya," Collins said.

"Well this is it." I said as I pushed open the door.

The four of us went inside. I took my pack off, everything was still in tacked.

"Guys can you help me?"

"Dude your abandoning our mission." Wiley said.

"If we leave these, they will be stollen, and vandalized. I can have that. I've lost the pieces at my house. I'm not loosing these." I said.

I took the nearest painting off the wall and broke the frame off. I cut the painting out.

"Someone hand me a light." I said.

Wiley handed me a flashlight. I held it in my mouth as I rolled it up.

"Someone keep watch." I said.

"On it." Harper said.

"There should be tubes in the back big enough for multiple paintings. Grab as many as you can." I said.

I looked around at my art covered in Dust. Before Waverley fell, I took it as my personal responsibility to keep each painting and frame clean. I'd spend hours after here cleaning every single piece. But one piece got very special care. The original last portrait of Maxon and America with their family.

I had to get that portrait to Evie. If I left it here and the Italians got it no doubt they'd ruin it beyond repair.

I ran over to the painting and pried the lock to the glass case open. Luckily I'd never gotten around to actually setting up the security system up, so there was no alarm.

"Dude what  are you doing?" Collins asked.

"This piece is the original, the one at the palace is the more formal copy." I said as I took off the frame. I cut it out and rolled it up.

"Dude you really are serious about this aren't you." Wiley said.

"Yes," I said.

Wiley handed me the tubes and I put my paintings in one. Since he had three and four paintings could fit in one.

I went over to the painting I'd don't of Evie and Finn shortly after he was born. She was cradling him close to her chest. I took it off the wall and took the frame off.

"Is that your girl?" Harper asked.

"Yes, that's our son Finn he was born in April." I said.

"Don't you also have a little girl?" Harper asked.

"Yes Haven, I named this gallery after her. I guess I'll need another gallery to name it after Finn." I smiled.

"You artists are crazy." Collins said. I laughed