Prologue

"The decreed hour is come." King Regis' voice echoes throughout the throne room, falling on eager ears. "Set forth with my blessing, Prince Noctis." Noctis bows stiffly, his hands pressed tightly to his sides.

"Thank you." He looks up quickly, adding: "Your Majesty" in a rushed stutter.

"Take your leave," the king commands after a moment of silence. "And go in the grace of the gods."

"Right," the prince breathes. Prompto shifts nervously beside me, clenching and unclenching his fists. Noctis turns swiftly, brushing past Gladio as he leaves. Quickly, the prince's shield bows, followed by me, Prompto, and Ignis. We then hurry to catch up with Noctis.

I keep up with the fast pace to the courtyard relatively easily, well acquainted with every hallway, corner, and room of the King's home. Noctis pushes the large doors to the front of the castle, jogging down the stairs to our newly appointed ride.

"Well, princes will be princes," Prompto says once we're free to the open air of the outdoors.

"So much for royal protocol," Ignis sighs, obviously unhappy with how imperfect our encounter with the king was.

"Not like you had to deliver a formal address," Gladio adds.

"He is your father after all," I point out. Ignis shakes his head.

"That does not mean he should simply..."

"Your Highness!" A voice calls. We pause, turning back to see King Regis limping down the carpeted steps with his cane, Drautos faithfully by his side.

"What now?" Noctis returns good naturedly.

"I fear I have left too much unsaid," the king replies, reaching out to his son. Noct hurries forward to speak with his father. Sighing, I cross my arms patiently. "You place a great burden on those who would bear with you."

"You're one to talk," Noctis scoffs. Regis turns to address us.

"I ask not that you guide my wayward son, merely that you remain by his side."

"Indeed, Your Grace," Ignis bows.

"We'll see the prince to Altissia if it's the last thing we see," Gladio adds, ducking his head the slightest bit.

"Yeah, what he said," Prompto chips in. I only smile, bowing slightly.

"I hate to break this up," Noctis speaks up. "But Cor's got the motor running. Drautos, he's in your hands."

"And another thing," the king rushes, stepping forward. "Do mind your manners around your charming bride-to-be." Noctis rolls his eyes, bowing to his father.

"Your Majesty as well," he responds sarcastically, looking up at his father warmly. "Try to mind yours around our esteemed guests from Niflheim."

"You have no cause for concern."

"Nor do you."

I turn and follow the others to the car, not wanting to eavesdrop on the royalties' conversation any longer than I have to. Gladiolus opens the back door and I slide into the middle seat, Ignis opening the door for Cor to climb out.

"Take care," Cor nods toward him, clapping one heavy hand down on the advisor's shoulder.

"Will do," Ignis nods, taking his place in the driver's seat of the Regalia, King Regis's car that was set apart for Noctis on his journey. Prompto takes the passenger side, forcing Gladio to take the seat to my right.

"Alright, move over Rayne," he grumbles, knocking his head against the ceiling. He curses under his breath, rocking the car when he falls into the leather seat. I lean over to my left when Cor opens the door for Noctis.

"Take care of things around here," I tease. He smiles.

"I'll keep an eye out for Arma and Signum," he replies, stepping out of the prince's way. I smile back gratefully. Thank you.

Noctis squeezes into the seat next to me. I scoot over as much as I can. Gods, he could've at least made sure we all fit first. Ignis turns his eyes up into the rearview mirror. "Are we all set?" he asks Noctis. Noct takes a deep breath, staring out at the castle for a moment before nodding.

"Yeah. Let's go."

SO THIS IS THE LOVELY STORY I'VE BEEN WORKING ON FOR ALMOST TWO MONTHS NOW :D I'M WORKING ON CHAPTER 21 (PG 283) AND WE'RE ONLY TO CHAPTER 5 OF THE GAME SO... 

SHE'S A BEAST

YES, I AM PULLING A CLASSIC MRS_STRIFE AND THROWING IN AN OC. IT MAKES ME HAPPY XD 

HAVE A LOVELY DAY AND DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE BEHIND THOUGHTS AND VOTES IF YOU LIKED IT ;)