XXI: Deadeye

~Several days later~

"I still can't believe it. I mean, shouldn't the car have turned up by now?" Prompto asks, pacing in front of the caravan we've been living in.

'

"We should wait until Cindy's done asking around the local garages before we despair," Ignis replies, crossing his arms. Gladio shakes his head.

"Let's not fool ourselves. The empire has it."

"We just don't know where," I sigh, resting my hands on my hips. "Otherwise, I'd be kicking imperial @#$ right now."

"Then maybe we could ask Ardyn to help us out again, right?"

"Ha! That's really funny, Prompto," I scoff.

"Yeah, the imperial chancellor," Gladio adds, emphasizing the blonde's misstep.

"He represents a problem, not a solution," Ignis says, turning his gaze to Prompto.

"So where does that leave us?" Prompto asks, placing his hands on his hips.

"Stranded, awaiting word from Hammerhead," Ignis sighs, pushing his glasses higher onto his face.

"In the meantime, we'll have to hoof it," Gladio nods.

"I'm sure you'll enjoy that," I mutter, crossing my arms. "Though, that means more training."

"Forgot you thought that's fun," Noctis mumbles.

"Look, it's Umbra!" Prompto exclaims, pointing to the small dog with graying fur. Noctis frowns, trying approach him, but the dog turns tail and runs away.

"Hey!" Noctis protests, running after him.

"No notebook this time?" I ask, following.

"We'll have to wait and see," Ignis replies, shaking his head.

Umbra comes to a stop outside the outpost, barking once. Noctis slows down, jumping suddenly out of surprise. "... Gentiana." I stop beside him, staring at the long haired woman before us, her hands clasped tightly over her robed stomach.

"Hear me, O King of the Stone. By the Stormsender's blessing will the path to the Stone be opened. The Oracle goes hence in her King's name."

"Luna," Noctis says, stepping closer. "Where is she now?"

"The eye of the Storm. When the covenant is forged, the Oracle and ring shall await their King at the Walls of Water. Stray not from the path." Without another word, Gentiana disappears clear from sight.

"She's a Messenger, a spirit faithful to the Oracle," Ignis explains.

"For real?" Prompto asks, looking at the rest of us.

"We're going beyond real now, pal," Gladio scoffs, crossing his arms. "It's complicated."

"I saw her all the time when I was stationed in Tenebrae," I nod, looking down at Noctis, who now kneels before Umbra with Luna's notebook in hand. "Always lurking around Noctis and Lady Lunafreya."

"That's her job," Gladio shrugs.

"Lady Lunafreya has done well to keep the ring from falling into enemy hands," Ignis says as Noctis stands. I feel a rain drop fall onto my head, followed by another, and then three more.

"Great," Prompto groans. I sigh, pulling my ponytail tighter and following the guys back toward the outpost. "All we need to do is hit Altissia."

"That entails passage aboard a ship. Caem may serve us now as it did them then," Ignis suggests.