XXXIV) Boat Ride

"Waitin' for an invitation?" Cid demands from the boat. "Get yer @#$*$ on board!"

I laugh, following Ignis up onto the boat. Talcott, Iris, and Signum stand on the edge of the dock, watching us begin to drift away. Talcott's eyes suddenly go brighter and he waves a hand in the air.

"Hey! Your Majesty!" Noct leans over the side of the boat, trying to hear what the boy has to say.

"What's up?"

"Please come back soon! We need our king!"

"Yeah!" Noctis laughs. "Count on it!"

"Hey Rayne!" Signum shouts over Iris's shoulder. I try to hear what he says, but the engines kick on and the boat begins to speed off. All I can read is "Arma" before we're too far off.

The sea is just as black as the starless sky, but I've got no problem with it. I stand at the back of the boat, watching the land ever so slowly disappear behind us. I almost feel sick about going so far away from home; it's my blasted fear of the unknown. There's only one light on the boat, in the front by Cid, so I'm startled when our resident big guy sneaks up on me, leaning against the railing.

"Didn't mean to scare you," he chuckles, looking out at the churning ocean. "Feels like we're finally getting somewhere."

"That's what scares me," I sigh. "Moving forward we'll never know what's ahead. That's why I preferred running back and forth across Lucian territory."

"Well, we're headed for imperial lands fast," he grumbles, looking up at me. "So you'd better get used to it quick."

"I'm getting there," I huff, turning my back to the water and leaning my elbows against the rail.

"What did Cor want from you?"

"He was apologizing for not saving Arma," I reply, shaking my head. "I tried to shut him up, but he just kept insisting that it was his fault and that he broke two promises to my father." The supernatural is not a force I'm familiar with.

"It's not like your father's alive to kick his @#$," Gladio mutters. I raise an eyebrow.

"Should we throw Noctis at Ardyn and make a run for it? His dad's not alive to execute us."

"Point made," he yawns, straightening. "Almost laughed when I saw him giving you a hug, though."

"I'm a very huggable person," I laugh.

"Don't look like it," he huffs, crossing his arms and looking out at the water over my head. "Think we'll go back anytime soon?"

"Let's hope so," I sigh, my eyes tracing over the details of the broad feathers tattooed on his arms. "Signum's all I've got, and if he gets himself killed..." I shake my head. Gladio grunts.

"You've got us, too. We're not going anywhere."

"Except to Altissia," I counter, crossing my arms with a frown. "Where something terrible is going to happen because Ardyn knows exactly where we're headed. Who knows if the rest of us will ever make it back?" Gladio chuckles, opening his arms wide and waiting. I scoff, obliging. "Wow, I'm handing out lots of love today."

"Not love," he shakes head, holding me just a bit closer. "Don't make it weird."

"Platonic love then," I snicker. "Good old friendly friend love." Not quite.

"Shut up," he huffs. I don't know why I'm still surprised by all the warmth he's always carrying with him, even against the chilly night air of the ocean. It's seeped into his personality too. "I think we'll all make it back just fine."