Criminal!Peter au pt. 5

P E T E R

3 weeks before

"Derek...I don't want to do it."

"Peter, man— you know we don't have a choice."

"We could just say no," I plead.

"If we say no, he'll kill them. Okay? You know that!"

Derek was right of course. But that didn't make anything easier.

"Come on," he says, "This is the last one. Theo said so."

I thought about her a lot that week. I wanted to call, I all but had my finger hovering over the call button multiple times. But I didn't. I couldn't keep seeing her. Derek would find out. He'd tell Theo. Then it would all be downhill from there. This way was better. This way, she was safe.

She texted me though. That didn't help with the temptation. But I had a job to do. So I didn't text her back.

"No hostages this time, Der," I say as I pull the mask on.

Isaac drives the van around the corner and pulls it to a stop.

"No hostages," Derek agrees.

"Alright boys, in and out. Let's do this one right."

Scott nods and climbs out of the van first, Derek and I following behind.

The truck was parked on the corner street, a couple of guards nearby. I didn't like this one.

There were people everywhere. Witnesses. But... Scott is able to zip tie all the guards and keep them down with nothing other than some verbal warnings, leaving Derek and I free to raid the truck. We fill up two duffels, grab as much as we can, before bleaching the place up, and running back to the van.

It goes smoothly, for once.

"Ha ha!" Derek yells once I slam the side door shut. Isaac speeds off one of the side streets and before we even hear a trace of sirens, we're speeding away. "Yes!" he yells in triumph.

I'm laughing too. There has to be over a mil stuffed in these bags.

"We did it!" I yell, clapping Scoff on the back. He's laughing and pulling off his mask. We're all elated.

Derek's the one bringing the money back to Theo. So I get to go back to my apartment right away. I check my phone absentmindedly, still hyped from the raid.

There's a missed call from Y/N.

I bite my lip, contemplating calling her back.
I was done. I finished. That was the last one.
Was it really such a bad thing to call her back? I was done working for Theo. Was she really in danger anymore?

I sigh and settle for sending her a quick text back. "Sorry I missed your call, what's up?"
She responds within a few minutes. "I guess there was another robbery. A detective called me and asked me to come into the station. What if they know that I lied?"

I inhale sharply at her words. A detective? We'd never been chased by a detective before...

"You're not going in, are you?" I ask.

"Yeah, I'm on my way now... Why?"

I practically throw my phone across the room in frustration. If she was going to the cops, she could tell them about Derek's tattoo... About the pictures. She could ruin everything.

I wait to text her back. I wait and I plan, because I have to figure this out. I have to figure out what she knows and more importantly, what she told.