Crimianl!Peter au pt. 7

P E T E R
1 week before

Derek's impeccable timing and desire to follow Y/N leads to a very bad situation.

He's angry at first, obviously.

That much I could have guessed. He's frantically yelling at me, saying what an idiot I am and I can honestly agree with him.

"What're you doing man?" he finally asks, his voice breaking. He's concerned. "What the hell are you doing?"

"I followed her," I say, "Like you asked. I followed her. But then I talked to her. And I liked her, and it just spiraled from there. It wasn't smart, I know that. But it happened, and now I actually care about her."

"You're gonna get her killed man. If Theo finds out? That'll just be another person he hangs over your head so that you do what he wants."

"This is fucking bullshit!" I yell suddenly.

"Why're we letting him do this to us, Derek? It's not fair! He doesn't own us, we have to make him stop! I can't do this anymore!"

Derek closes his eyes tightly.

"It's never gonna stop man. Don't you get that? Go ahead, stand up to him. See if one of your family members end up like Cora."

My heart immediately sinks. Of course Derek's right. Theo's always telling us that it's the "last one", the "last assignment". But he's always pulling us back for more. Derek fought it once too. He protested, argued that he was done robbing. Done being a criminal. He told Theo to go to hell. He tried to quit.

It was brave. Honorable even. But when Derek's sister's body showed up in a ditch the following morning, we knew we were in it for the long haul.

No one said no to Theo.

"Are you gonna tell him?" I asked quietly.

"Tell him what?"

"About Y/N. Are you gonna tell Theo?"

Derek's face softens. "Of course not.

He stands up to leave, shoving his hands in his pockets and hanging his head. He pulls the door to my apartment door open but stops, "Peter, if you really care about her— you gotta stop."