Criminal!Peter au pt. 3

5 weeks before

P E T E R

Upon Derek's instructions, I followed her. It seemed tedious and entirely unnecessary to me. She hadn't gone to the Feds. She'd just gone home. But, Derek was paranoid and always airing on the side of caution, so I entertained his stupid little request, and I followed her.

I didn't think I would actually find her interesting.

She showed up at the coffee shop at the same time, ordered the same thing, and sat in the same seat everyday for a week. She kept to herself, always looking like her thoughts were consuming her. She looked tortured. I knew I was responsible for that, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't bother me. Everyday, I watched her eat that stupid, blueberry muffin in agony and the guilt ate away at me, piece by piece. Then one day, they ran out. The one goddamn thing this girl enjoyed on a daily basis and they were out.

Derek in no way indicated that he wanted me to talk to her. But I couldn't help it... She ordered the damn lemon poppyseed of all kinds and looked like she was near tears and honestly couldn't help myself.

She had this soft voice and reserved personality, like I knew was was bothering her, of course, but I was fascinated all the same. And when she looked me in the eyes, I saw a thousand different shades and layers, each one more beautiful than the last.. I wanted to stare forever.

Of course I played it cool. She took the muffin and even smiled a few times. It did little to ease the guilt boiling up inside of me, though. And then she offered me her number. She actually had a good time.

I sat back at my apartment with the piece of paper in between my fingers. I debated calling over in my head a million times. Derek would be livid. This was a dumb move. Even I knew that. But I couldn't help but think of her demeanor, so sad, so defeated. She was broken and it was my fault. Was it so wrong to want to put her back together, even just a little bit? Derek didn't have to know. Just a few dates, a few fun nights. Just enough to get her mind off of things.

I call the next day.

I asked her to dinner and a movie.

She said yes.

I was going on a date with the girl I'd temporarily kidnapped.

She rode in the front seat of my truck wearing casual clothes. I did notice that she put on a bit of makeup though, which made me smile.

"You look nice," I say.

She looks up smugly from her hands, "Thank you."

When she looks back down, I see her whole body stiffen up. Her eyes are wide before she exhales sharply and squeezes them shut.

"Are you okay?" I ask, concerned. I'm checking the floor where she stared, trying to find what caused her sudden reaction. My heart sinks in my chest when I see the ski mask on the floor by her feet. Shit.

"I'm fine—" she says, her voice breaking only slightly.

"Woah," I say, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, nothing," she says, wiping her teary eyes on her sleeve.

My heart is pounding.

"I just— you should know... I worked at this bank, in Beacon Hills," she explains. Her voice is thick. "And it got robbed last week."

I pretend to act shocked. I gasp loudly and give her a concerned look.

"These three guys came in with guns and cleaned out the vault. Then they took me hostage. Well not really, I guess. They blindfolded me in their van and drove about two blocks before throwing me out."