Finding A Way

Another month slipped by, and it seemed that things were going as well as they possibly could for someone whose daughter was still in a coma. Her heels echoed through the department as she strolled in that day. "Morning." Connie looked up from her phone to see Charlie wandering beside her.

"I saw you went out last night?" Nodding she let her eyes fall to the phone that was vibrating in her hands once again. "Seems someone is very popular today?" Charlie watched with a suspicious smile as Connie dismissed him pushing her phone into her pocket. "It's nothing." Charlie watched her roll her eyes, moving her stethoscope around her neck. "I see-" "Nooo, you don't. Leave it Charlie, before one of us ends up regretting their actions."

He held his hands up in surrender as she wandered past him beginning her shift. Jacob was in a little later, noticing Connie standing outside the ED. "Hey, how's Grace doing?" "How do you think she's doing? She's on a high dependency ward and hasn't woken up since the accident." Jacob stepped back at the aggression behind her voice. "Sorry I asked-" "Well next time don't. We're not your problem anymore."

Jacob sighed looking to her once more before traipsing inside, a little less enthusiastic than he'd been before. He had been trying to make conversation with her, desperate to show he was still there, that he still cared but she seemed to be having none of it.

Connie watched as he moved inside hating how the way she treated him every time he spoke to her but it was the only thing she knew how to do. Shutting him out and making him hate her would be easier than telling him the truth. To think it had all been so different a matter of months ago. But that was then and this is now. Things changed, and maybe it was for the better that they now had some distance between them. After all she didn't do relationships very well, that was clear from the disaster she had caused beforehand.

Checking her phone she wandered back inside the hospital to finish her shift before she returned upstairs to her daughters bedside as she did most days.

Sometimes Charlie visited, and every now and then Duffy would come too. Other than that, nobody came. There wasn't anyone else she wanted there, and she was glad Sam hadn't decided to fly over again. The last thing she needed was him here aggravating her.

"Hey sweetheart, I'm back. Mummy's here..." Connie pulled the chair back to the bed as she placed her hand upon Grace's. "Uncle Charlie sends his love, says he's got a mean homemade pizza for you to try when you're better." Swallowing past the lump in her throat she continued to talk to Grace as though she could respond at any moment.

Connie knew it was no good moping around here all day long. Not that it made her feel any better about leaving her daughter all alone in the hospital. "I know you're strong baby, and I know that you're hurting but I need you to keep fighting Gracie..." Running her hand across her daughters forehead and into her hair she remained quiet for a while.

Life had become complicated, so much so that her life away from here no longer existed. As the days passed it didn't seem that it would ever get any easier for her. Everything seemed to be against her. She wanted to sit with him and have him say that it would all be okay, that somehow they'd make it through this but it wasn't about to happen.

Fresh tears rolled down her cheeks as she sat in the large chair in the corner of the darkened room. She tugged the blanket from the back, wrapping it around her shoulders as she pulled her knees tightly to her chest. Nothing would ever be the same as it once was, and she wasn't sure she'd ever really have her life back again.