Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

A/N - Sorry, I've had a lot on lately but I've asked a friend to publish my drafted chapters for me so there won't be such a wait for updates x

Standing outside the ED she was unsure she had heard correctly. "Sorry, what?" "Grace is ready to go home, Mrs Beauchamp. Her levels have been up for weeks now, and her speech is perfectly normal. She'll need to continue coming to her physio sessions, but we don't see why she can't do so from her own home."

Connie leant back against the wall as she released a long breath feeling an overwhelming sense of happiness. "When?" "End of the week we can have everything ready for you to sign." She felt the tears roll down her cheek before she had a chance to control them. Wiping a hand beneath her eyes she sniffed quickly agreeing before ending the call.

Lifting a hand to her mouth she couldn't believe that after so long of waiting and hoping, everything was finally happening. Wiping her cheeks again she quickly shook herself before wandering back around towards the department. It was surprisingly quiet as she walked back through to her office.

Heading inside, she sat down at her desk looking round at everything that lay there. Her eyes fell to the frame beneath the computer screen before she slipped her phone out of her pocket again.

Do you think we could go for a walk, there's something I need to tell you.

She had kept her space for a few days, they still spoke to one another and visited Grace but she was unsure of how they were supposed to be acting with one another. One minute they were the old flirty them who wound each other up, the next they were treading on egg shells as though their history was completely re-writing their future. As her phone vibrated on the table she snapped out of her daze.

Of course, I'll meet you in the same place. 20 minutes? xxx

Connie smiled gently quickly typing out a response before picking up her bag and putting her things inside. Getting up, she wandered out of the office seeing Charlie beside reception. Looking up he smiled gently before seeing her bag. "Going somewhere?" "Actually, yes..." Charlie looked up once more walking away from the other members of staff slowly with a worried expression. "Are you alright?" "I'm fine, honestly. There's just something I need to do. I promise I'll explain later?"

Charlie nodded with a smile as Connie turned away moving from the department in a rush. Heading towards the car, she slowed before changing her direction slightly. As she came to a stop, she looked to the numerous flowers that were now blooming in bold colours. "I guess it's time to really move on..." Looking down at her hands she sighed gently before looking back to the roses. "I'm not about to forget you sweetheart, I promise you that..."

Biting her lip, she released a final breath turning away to get into her car heading home quickly. She changed into some comfortable clothes, swapping her heels for something more suitable. Staring into the mirror she looked at her appearance, something seeming different about her as she left the room heading out to meet Jacob.

As she walked along the footpath, the air around her felt warm and light. For the first time in as long as she could remember, there was no bump in the road and nothing stopping her. Dropping her head she looked to the floor hiding her smile before finishing the walk to the edge of the field. She spotted Jacob up ahead, he was unmistakable even from this distance.

He had his hands pushed deeply into his pockets as he looked around before noticing Connie walking closer to him. She seemed to speed up somewhat as he frowned seeing her. "What's happened-" "Grace is coming home." His expression slipped from his face as her words registered before the smile spread brightly on his face. "Don't joke-" "I'm not, she's really coming home Jacob."

Closing her into a tight hug, he lifted her up spinning around as he held her tightly. "Connie that's amazing." She nodded feeling the tears coming to her eyes as she thought of being able to bring her baby home. He cupped her cheeks with a smile as she shook her head with a laugh. "I can't believe it-" "I told you she'd get there." She nodded dropping her hand to lace together with his. "Can we walk?" "Of course."

He held her hand within his as they moved across the field, jumping from topic to topic with her as they spoke. He watched the smile that fixed itself on her face, never once leaving. "You really are happy aren't you?" Connie swallowed past the lump in her throat as she nodded. "I'm getting a second chance with my daughter Jacob. One that I can't mess up... I'm scared that I won't be enough for her."

Jacob shook his head squeezing her hand gently as they walked, the sun setting slowly in the sky. "You've always been enough for that girl, you've both just been too stubborn to admit it." "What if I can't do it on my own, looking after her and working, seeing you and making time for this." "You know you never have to choose between us, I'll always be here and I'm never going to let you do this alone. I'm going to be there for every step, every fall. I'm never leaving you again."

Facing him slowly, she looked to him as he moved his hands to her cheeks closing the space between them. Although they'd admitted their true feelings for each other many times before, it felt different. It was as though Connie finally believed the words they spoke and was ready to let go of everything before.

Parting from him, the happy smile returned to her face before she placed a hand above his. "I don't ever want to lose you again Jacob. When I thought I'd lost Grace my whole word fell apart, but when I pushed you away after the crash I thought that was everything over. I never thought I'd have this life." "I guess it's a pretty good thing I ask twice then, right?" Connie laughed pushing his chest as he wrapped his arms around her, continuing to walk though the filed as the sun shone down over them.

The pair continued to walk, to laugh with one another. Nothing hidden, no insecurities and for the first time Jacob knew that she was truly being honest with him. It was like another woman was standing before him now. Someone who was scared, but open enough to tell him so. This woman was the one he'd fallen for long ago and it was the one he planned on never letting get away again.