Finally Got You Back

The ED had been quiet for the past few days giving Connie plenty of time to think. She'd spent the previous night at Jacob's after he had offered to cook for them. Arriving at work this morning, she knew that it hadn't gone unnoticed by Charlie as she wandered in beside Jacob. She hadn't had the chance to catch up with him properly yet but decided to head into the department and find him while it was quiet.

Stepping into the corridor, she felt the cool breeze from outside whistle through providing some relief to the otherwise hot corridor. Her heels echoed on the floor causing a few heads to lift and look her direction in the department but none of them were the ones she was after.

Continuing towards Charlie's office, she was stopped as Jacob passed behind her. "Everything alright?" "Hey, yeah I'm just going to tell Charlie about Grace." He nodded with a smile looking across the department. "We both know he'll bring you up so I hardly need to do that, do I?" He smirked dropping his eyes to her again feeling his hand brush across hers. "You know if you want to do something then you can just do it."

Taking a step past her he leant closer lowering his voice. "Trust me, the things I could do to you are not things I could do here." Glaring across at him trying to hide her expression Jacob backed away smirking as she turned back to the door about to knock before dropping her hand. Turning around she headed after Jacob who heard her heels approaching. Looking up he saw her nodding towards the staff room before watching her wander along the adjacent corridor.

Throwing his files onto the reception desk he smiled towards Noel making small talk before strolling towards the staff room. Connie looked over her shoulder before stepping into the side door of the staff room. She noticed Jacob coming towards her, shutting the door behind himself before opening his locker. "Something specific you wanted Queen Bee?"

Arching a brow she kept her arms folded against her chest before wandering towards him, leaning against the cool metal watching him. "What do you want me to call us to someone who asks?" "I guess that depends on who's asking." She frowned looking to him as she shook her head. "What do you mean?" "Well if someone out there comes up to me I'm not about to say you're my girlfriend, am I?" "Why, embarrassed that your girlfriend holds more power than you here?"

He shook his head with a grin before sighing. "I don't expect you to be okay with everyone gossiping about us-" "I'm not hiding this Jacob." "Really? You mean, you'd be okay if I kissed you in front of everyone we worked with..." He said it expecting to know her reaction but was shocked when she shrugged. "Don't bring my authority into question and we have no problem, do we Staff Nurse Masters?"

"Now, you gonna explain what you meant out there?" She arched her eyebrow as he laughed deeply. "Come round tonight and I might just show you." "Help me find and tell Charlie and I might just consider that offer, and don't tell me it's a one time offer. We all know you'd be lying muscles." Jacob shook his head with a smile as he closed the final bit of space between them to kiss her gently.

The door clicked open with Duffy wandering in before she stopped in her tracks apologising. "Sorry, I didn't know anybody was using the room." Connie smiled shaking her head as she moved her hair back behind her ear. "It's fine, not like I'm expecting this to stay quiet much longer with his big mouth." Jacob jabbed her in the side as she turned to push his chest while Duffy wandered in further with a smile.

"I see... So am I to take that as an admittance of something?" Glancing to Jacob, Connie turned back to her wandering forwards as she swung her arms gently. "Jacob and I are seeing each other, yes." She nodded looking between the pair before turning the kettle on. "Have you seen Charlie, I have a few things to tell him- Including this, yes." Duffy laughed as she looked out the door. "He just went to his office." "Thank you, I'll catch you later?"

Jacob nodded with a smile as she wandered closer, kissing him gently before leaving the room. "So, you never gave up then?" "I love her Duffy, there was never any choice for me." She nodded finishing making her cup of tea. "Well I for one am glad she's let you back in again." "Something else Duffy..." She stopped moving turning back in the door way. "Grace is coming home."

Her expression changed as she smiled widely, surprised but so pleased. "Oh Jacob that's wonderful news!" She hugged him tightly knowing how much he cared about Grace despite her not having any blood relation to him. "Take care of those girls, they're difficult ones-" "But worth it all." She smiled nodding as they parted ways returning to the department.

Connie had moved into Charlie's office, smiling as she sat down on the sofa. "Something's not wrong is it?" "No... No." Charlie rubbed his hands down his trousers before standing up and moving to sit beside her. "So?" "Grace is coming home Charlie." He smiled brightly as he wrapped his arms around her. "Oh Connie that's fantastic, I told you that you'd get there eventually." She smiled nodding as she pulled away from him before shrugging.

"You don't seem so happy-" "I am, really. It's just, how am I supposed to care for her and be here. I've been thinking about it a lot, and I think I'm going to take some leave. Just for a while to settle Grace down again. Then when that times up, I'll see how I'm feeling about it then." He nodded knowing there would be no talking her out of a decision like this that she had made. "If you're sure, you know you wouldn't be doing this alone either-" "I know, I've got you and I've got Jacob."

She rolled her eyes at his expression seeing everything he was about to say. "Yes Charlie, I'm letting him look after me and I finally told him everything." "Meaning?" She looked down at her hands before turning her head to him slightly. "I told him I loved him, that I couldn't lose him, ever." "I think you know exactly how to manage caring for Grace." She lifted her eyes back to him before nodding as she glanced around the room. "Go... Go find him."

Shaking her head again she walked out of the office looking around the department before seeing him disappear out the entrance. Walking that direction, she hurried up seeing him move towards the bench beside the roses that continued to grow. "Jacob-" "Con? Is everything okay? Grace-" "It's fine." He frowned having seen her rushing and thought the worst.

Looking to the white roses she smiled before taking his hand and wandering towards the bench to sit with him. "Connie?" "Just, listen to me. Please." Nodding quietly he waited for her to speak as she looked off across the grounds for a moment before looking to their entwined hands. "When I said that I couldn't have done any of this without you, I meant it. I'm not ready to forget, but I'm ready to move on and have my life back. There was something I should have said before the accident but I never got the chance..."

Caressing his hand she swallowed past the lump in her throat before finding the words easier to say than she'd assumed they'd be. "I want you to move in with me and Grace." "You know I could never say no to you girls, but I want you to be sure this is what you want." Moving a hand to his check she smiled widely as he looked to her. "I've never been more sure of anything else." She kissed him slowly as he responded to her, holding her closely to him aware that this was a very public place and someone they knew was sure to have seen.

"Take a break?" "Anything for my girlfriend..." She smiled kissing him once more before standing up. "I need to tell Grace about everything." "She knows she's coming home already-" "I think I want to stop working here. Spend some time with her, help her with school. And I need to tell her she's got you to put up with at home too." He smirked standing up beside her taking her hand in his before wandering back towards the ED heading up to Grace's room for one of the final times.