Kabanata 24

PAG-AALALA ang emosyon na nakita niyang rumehistro sa maamong mukha ni Carlos. She felt both his thumb wiped the tears off her cheeks.

Na lalo lamang nagpalala sa malayang pagkawala ng mga luha sa kanyang mga mata.

His words was simple and straightforward. No flowery words that she thought was the norm of the 19th century in confessing love. Those two word are enough for her to feel engulfed in an elated feeling of happiness. But, reality stole away what she felt, sinking her to the depths of sadness. Her heart ached as the future she belongs to came to mind.

There would never be her and Carlos, only Cecilia and Carlos in the picture. That was what would happen.

"Tahan na, mahal ko." She heard Carlos said making her heart ached more.

She bit her lower lip as she tried not to show what she felt. She blinked to somehow stop tears from falling but, only made more tears flow. It just drained the warm liquid off her eyes.

"Ang mga luha bang ito ay dahil sa iyong kasiyahan, Cecilia. Ako ba ay may puwang na sa iyong puso?" She heard him asked this time. She felt him pulled her closer in a hug. "Ako ba ay mahal mo na rin?"

She did not answer him. She just hugged him back. It was her quiet answer to his question in her own way as Selry, not Cecilia. She buried her face on his shoulder, taking in his scent of sweat mixed with a faint sweet musky masculine smell that was so Carlos.

"Mahal mo ako." She heard him say, more like confirm. There was a hint of joy in his voice, like a kid who got a bag full of sweets.

She savored that precious moment bago naunang kumawala dito.

She tried to smile at him. Her eyes hurt from crying which she was glad of. Somehow it hide her pain and her innermost feelings. "Carlos, maaari bang mauna na akong pumanhik? Nitong mga nakaraang araw ay hindi maganda ang aking pakiramdam. Nakadagdag marahil ang pagluha sa pagsakit ng aking ulo." She excused.

"Kung iyon ang iyong nais, mahal ko. Ang iyong kalusugan ang pinaka-importante sa lahat." He said, buying her lie. He then stood up and held out his hand to her which she accepted. Ramdam niya ang pag-iingat nito sa kanya. Their walk to the front door was short but felt like eternity for her.

Panira lamang si Francisco na mukhang kararating lang mula sa kung saan. Hinarang sila nito at ipinagpaalam si Carlos para hiramin. An annoyed expression was evident on her face as she took the steps with Carlos and Francisco talking about medical stuff.

Hindi na siya nag-abala pang magpaalam kay Carlos when they set foot on the second floor of the house. Tuluy-tuloy na tinalunton niya ang daan patungong silid ni Cecilia.

At doon nagmukmok.

DINALA si Selry ng mga paa sa kusina. Malapit na rin ang oras ng siesta nang magising siya. She fell asleep while staring at the ceiling.

Gutom na siya.

No one even bothered to wake her for lunch and she knew why and who might have refrained anyone to do so.

She sighed. A lot was bugging her mind. She wanna get some slack off it.

Ang Don ay nasa silid-aklatan at may mga kasamang mga Ginoo nang mapadaan siya roon. Mukhang may pinag-uusapan ang mga ito na hindi na niya pinagtuunan ng pansin.