40: " News and Denial "

Zarah's P.O.V

She had a concerned look on her face.

"Listen dear, I know stress has been on you these day and I know your little... Problem is your way of coping."

"Mother, I am not stressed and I am not drinking,"I stressed.

"I am sorry to say I do not believe you."

"Well I am sorry you do not but I am not."

Lying straight to her face once again just to cover up the fact that I slipped back into my habit after I returned home. It all still feels like yesterday, the same hurt and the same pain, it still lingers and my hate for her is ever present and burning.

"I would not like if you drink yourself into an early death, not with the Pharaoh's birthday celebration thirty days away,"Mother sat down beside me.

I signed deeply and covered my face with my hands. "I completely forgot about that. I have been so preoccupied, thank you for the reminder."

"Hmm, this is important my child , you need to make a statement when we atten. It is never too late for him to have a change of heart, for you to save him from that wretched witch."

"I know."

"I will finally get a chance to meet the girl and set our dear Khai on the right path."

"Mother, I highly doubt you will be able to get her away from Khai. He has a hold on her that seems unbreakable."

"It is her evil my dear. He shall soon be set free from her dark magic and your Khai's eyes will be crystal clear,"she reassured and I nodded. "I better be going now, I promised your father I would advise him on some matters."

I watched as she left before sighing in frustration. All this was taking a toll on me but I had no intention of giving up the fight for what is rightfully mine. That Kiya will be removed even if force or extreme measures will be needed.
It pained me to know that he was spending his time with her and giving her all his love and affection and she does not even consider him as a friend. He does not deserve such treatment and I can give him what he needs;what he deserves.

I was getting smothered by my emotions. I turned around and looked at the large vase. I squinted my eyes and gritted my teeth before turning back around and covering my face. How was I to keep sane without my mother confirming her suspicions about the return of my drinking?

I was pulled from my thoughts by a voice.

"Princess, you have a messenger."

"Tell him to wait ,"I sighed.

"He sent to tell you that it is very important."

I rose from my bed and went out to him.

"Princess,"he said with fright in his eyes as beads of sweat rolled down his forehead.

"Let us be!" I ordered everyone to leave the room. I sat down gave him the go ahead to speak when the room was empty.
He came up close to my ear and whispered.

"They caught him."

"What!"I froze.

"They caught him!"He repeated.

"Well how? Where?"

"She spotted him in the town."

I pressed my thumb into my temples. " She spotted him! She spotted him! The aim in the first place was not to be know or seen and he managed to be out in the town and managed to get caught? "

I paced the floor. This all seemed too stupid to be true. I looked over at him and he remained silent.

"What was she doing in the town?"

"She and the Pharaoh were passing through. "

"Passing through?" I mumbled.
I just knew he was showing her off.
"So how did you not get caught?"

"When he saw the girl he panicked and he ran off. She did not notice me because I made sure they did not see my face. She looked right at me and overlooked me, but the idiot brought attention to himself when he ran."

"Do you think he will talk?"

"He said he would take it to the grave."

As stupid as he may be he would never be a traitor to me even with his life on the line. I had so much faith in the idiot now because I know he will not speak. He has a chance because I know Khai will not kill him , he will try to get information out of him.

"Stupid!" I yelled.

"Princess please calm down."

"You of all persons should not tell me that. You two should not have been out there in the first place!" I paused and took a deep breath. "Just go, I will fix this."

I burst out of the room. This was it, I was crashing. I slammed my room door and locked it. I went straight for it. I opened it and turned it to my head. That was it, I broke.

There was constant knocking at my door. I was sprawled on the floor with bottles decorated around me. With half opened eyes and drunk as ever I stared at the ceiling.

"Why me?"I sobbed as warm tears rolled down my cheeks. I questioned my doings in life. I care for him and I know he cares for me too... He told me he does.
Mother is on my side to take back my Khai but father will have no part of it. He is ever so neutral to the situation. He is to be on my side. All he does is tell mother that Khai is a grown enough man to make personal decisions and I should take some time and carry on. How could he say that?

I can't recall him telling me he loves her, so how should I know for sure?
I let out a long harsh sigh. I had no strength to get up from the floor so I just stayed there, allowing my mind to go on a rampage tearing my heart up with doubt .