Chapter 38: Birthday present

I lingered a little longer behind the door to make sure he was really gone, before I finally opened it. Upon opening it, my eyes immediately travelled to the small square box on the floor. It was undoubtedly a jewelry box. One that could fit a necklace, or a watch, but when I opened it, it contained neither.

Inside was a folded piece of paper. I carefully took it out and opened it. It was a letter. As soon as I started reading it, I could feel the tears already burning in my eyes.

"Jennifer, when I met you, I was instantly startled by your unearthly beauty, but when I got to know you, your personality won me over. Never in my wildest dreams had I imagined we would end up together one day, but this day came and here we are now. I will try in every way to be worthy of your love, because you were the one who taught me how to love in the first place. You showed me the light when I was walking through darkness and I am eternally grateful for that. I promise to cherish you and stand by you, in health and sickness, through sorrow and success, for the rest of my life."

When I finished reading it, I stared fixedly at it for a long moment.

This...this was not a letter.

These were vows...wedding vows.

I picked up the box again and noticed that there was something else inside.

A ring.

My birthday present.

An engagement ring. One beautiful diamond ring that should mark the beginning of our life together. The ring that would complete the promise he made two months ago.

He was going to propose to me and all I did was push him away. My tears began to fall again, covering the ones that had already dried on my cheeks from earlier.

He was finally going to make everything fall into place and I ruined it. I ruined everything. A second wave of tears overcame me and then a third and...

I dropped everything and fell on my bed, regretting everything I had done. At that moment I was a self-loathing crying mess. My torment was unbearable. I had hurt him. I had made a decision that affected us both without even telling him.

I was a terrible person.

I didn't deserve him. I didn't deserve any of this. I deserved to be alone. Forever.

And as THE NIGHT went on, flashes of memories of us together flooding my head, I made the most crucial decision of my life.

I was going to leave. I was going to leave him be, because all I ever did from the very beginning was hurt him.

I was never going to see Colin O'Donoghue again.

Ever.

A/N: Guys, I am terribly sorry to announce that this is the end of the book😢
Thank you all so much for sticking by me, commenting, voting, reading. I love you all so much that words cannot explain. Your support means the world to me and I am eternally grateful I joined this fandom. I am not leaving. I have a new book coming soon, so stay tuned☺️
Xox, Eva💕

Ok, I was joking🙈 it is not the end of the book (yet), I have an idea about what I should write next, but maybe I won't update soon, because my idea is a little abstract, so I have to work on it😶