thirty six

for over the course of two days, things have been a little calm. aside from zack's dark humor and taunting words towards zayn. the only times zayn and harry were let free was to be escorted to the bathroom and back. zack threatening to punish harry again if either of them tried any funny business while they were released. of course zayn didn't want that, so he obeyed, for now. for harry's sake. then they were positioned right back where they were before, feeling helpless.

the pain on harry's back started to slowly subside, and it only hurt when touched. although his wrists started to hurt from his bones being pushed together for too long. harry was quiet for most of the time, other then whispered words exchanged between he and zayn every now and then. zayn felt bad for being mad about the kiss, and of course he apologized to harry, but he still couldn't help but feel upset about the situation they were in. it was only human for him to feel some type of way, but he knew harry was scared and didn't want to piss zack off more and give him a reason to hurt him again.

harry didn't blame zayn for getting slightly mad, he was upset himself that he had to kiss zack. it was the last thing he wanted to do. but he had to obey, if he wanted to avoid getting harmed again. zayn understood that, he just didn't like it, not one bit. zayn was not able to sleep for the time they'd been here, while harry was in and out of it. harry was doing the opposite of zayn. he slept at night, he accepted the water and food given to him by zack, and he obeyed. while zayn didn't eat or drink anything, barely slept, and nearly cussed zack out every chance he got.

but harry was used to this, he had done it before and it just stuck in his head. but zayn didn't want to give in to zack. he didn't care if he starved, or if he was tired or thirsty. accepting something from zack would be like accepting the way things were and zayn didn't want that. zayn sighs and leans back in the chair. the chair was pretty worn down and was very uncomfortable but nothing he couldn't handle. plus he couldn't complain about being uncomfortable, harry was the one who was beaten badly. he was the one zack was targeting. zack told them, anything either he or harry did, will result in harry getting punished. he didn't once say he'd hurt zayn, it was only harry who it would fall back on.

zayn looked over at harry as he begins to awaken. he lies silently awake for a few moments, before he twists himself around and sits up against the headboard. he looks over at zayn and smiles weakly, but neither of them say anything at the moment. it felt weird to talk to one another in this situation. they felt like they couldn't have a normal conversation, and it was slightly awkward. both of them were tied up and in the hands of someone who could snap at any given moment. what could they possibly talk about?

but harry felt like talking, he really did. the silence was killing him and he hated to be left with his thoughts. plus he just wanted to hear zayn's voice, it brought him comfort. his voice was soft and always approached him gently. since they'd been here, two and a half days, all he's heard is zack riling zayn up and talking him down. he hated it. he didn't like to see zayn mad and he didn't like to watch zack receive satisfaction from it.

"z-zayn?" his small voice calls, a little above a whisper.

"yeah babe?" zayn answers.

"d-do you think w-we will get out of here?" he asks shakily.

"of course baby, you got out before didn't you?" zayn says softly. harry shakes his head sadly.

"n-no, not by myself anyway. if it weren't for luke and calum, i'd still be there." he says. zayn sighs.

"don't worry about that, we will get out. we won't let him win." zayn replies, looking into harry's eyes. harry nods slowly.