Thirteen

Ruby looked up at him, eyes narrowed in annoyance. "What's up?"
"How long have you known about this?" He nodded back at her.
Ruby must've known that he was talking about the kits. "I found out about a month ago."
A month. Wait. "Just before we met Rainwhisker?" He realized, thing out loud. Ruby nodded in a simple reply.
"Two weeks, then, right?"
She nodded again. The Doctor's voice grew more and more worried. "Stay put of danger...please."
Ruby stood, pressing her muzzle to his, letting out a reassuring purr. "Don't worry,Doctor, I'll be fine."
But his relief didn't return. "M'kay."
Ruby moved back, sitting down again. She must've noticed her concern, and thus bowed her head. "I promise I'm not going to be reckless, okay?" The Doctor watched her look him straight in the eyes. He fluttered his wings and fur. "Knowing you, I'm not sure that you can be trusted."
She made a mock pouty face, growling. "I'm not a little kit, you know."
The Doctor reached out with a paw to ruffle her head fur, his voice taking on a teasing tone. "You seem to act like one, though."
She stuck her tongue out, teasing him back. "So do you."
The Doctor let out a loud sigh, letting his gaze drop to his paws. "Just take good care of yourself. It's not just you that you're protecting, you know."
He sat up, leaving the queen alone before she could reply.