Unrest

The weeks that followed Logan's visit, passed by relatively quickly visit and before they knew it he'd been working in Seattle for almost four months with a couple of short hops back to the East coast in between. Although they were still missing each other a lot, the visits back home to New York had started to dwindle and as it was, Logan and Rory had now not seen each other in over five weeks. They were both working with hectic schedules and that meant that communication had been reduced to emails and the quick calls they could manage during the week.

Rory sat at her desk twiddling her hair in her fingers, trying ever so hard to concentrate on the screen in front of her. She felt like these days her whole life revolved around waiting to hear from Logan and it was hard to maintain her focus sometimes. As soon as she got up in the morning she would check and recheck her emails and messages and wait for him to call. She was doing just that when her cell phone rang.

"Hey," she said, happily into the receiver.

It had been a few days since she'd heard Logan's voice, they'd been playing an excellent game of Voicemail Ping-Pong so she was glad that they had finally been able to catch up with each other.

"Hey, Ace. How are you?" Logan asked.

"I'm good" She replied.

"Are you sure? Your voice sounds a little weird. Tired?" he asked her.

"I'm fine Logan, just really long hours at the moment and I've been missing you that's all." Rory sighed.

"I miss you too Rory. I've been thinking about you all day."

Rory smiled. "I can't wait until you're home at the weekend, it feels like it's been ages since we've been together..."

Logan paused. "Yeah, about that..."

"Oh God Logan" Rory said as she dropped her head into her hand "Please don't tell me you're not coming back this weekend."

"I'm sorry Ace, things are really ramping up here, I need to be in the office this weekend."

Rory shook her head silently.

"Rory?" Logan said her name when she didn't respond.

"Fine, whatever." Rory shrugged even though he couldn't see her.

"Come on, don't be like that. You know, you could always come out here, I could see if my Dad's jet is free and..." he started to say.

"Logan I can't" Rory interrupted him "I have a family thing this weekend and I was kind of hoping that you'd be able to come."

"I'm sorry," he said quietly.

"It's fine. Look, Logan, I'm really busy here, I've got to go. I'll speak to you later, okay?"

Rory ended the call, frustrated and annoyed. She had been really looking forward to Logan coming back this weekend and them actually managing to spend some time together but once again, he had cancelled on her, just like he had done the previous two times he was meant to come back to New York. She was slowly becoming fed up of coming second.

-----

A little while later there was a tap at her office door. She looked up to see Kate leaning against the doorframe.

"Lunch?" Kate asked.

Keen for a distraction from her thoughts Rory gladly jumped at the chance of getting out of the office for a bit and having a chat with her friend. Kate was always a willing sounding board when Rory needed an analysis of her relationships.

"It's just so hard, you know," Rory said as she sat opposite Kate in a bar around the corner.

When Kate had seen the look on Rory's face she had decided what they really needed was a liquid lunch and so they popped around the corner to one of their favorite lunchtime haunts for a quick glass of wine.