Missing You

Later that day Rory went with Logan to the airport to say goodbye. The euphoria after his unexpected proposal that morning had subsided a little and now the sad reality was kicking in. Rory struggled to fall asleep in the bed that they had been sharing for the past few weeks, she already missed him terribly and she really didn't know how she was going to get through the next few months without being miserable. Having had past experience, they knew that the long distance thing pretty much sucked and they were both going to be living for those weekends when they would be reunited. For now, though, emails, phone calls and video chats were just going to have to suffice.

The next morning she headed into the office. She had picked up a large coffee for herself on the way in and she sat down at her desk and sipped it slowly, taking a moment to enjoy the relative peace and quiet. She looked at the clock, wondering if she could call Logan yet but realized it was still early morning and he was likely to be asleep, there being a three hour time difference between them. She was completely lost in her thoughts when a voice dragged her back out of them.

"What is that!" she heard Kate squeal and she pointed to the ring on Rory's finger.

Rory smiled up at her friend. "What do you think it is?"

"Oh my God, you two really don't waste any time?" Kate said as she walked over to the desk and grabbed hold of Rory's hand. "Wow, that is gorgeous Rory."

"He proposed yesterday morning before he left for Seattle," Rory said. "We've not told anyone yet so just keep it quiet for a bit."

"Of course I will, though, that ring is so big and sparkly you're going to blind someone with it! I think it's going to be hard for people to miss!"

"Ha, yeah you're right," Rory said admiring her ring again for about the twentieth time that day. "It's really only until we've told our parents. Though Mitchum is in Seattle with Logan so he'll probably tell him then and I'll tell my mom at some point today I suppose."

She wasn't looking forward to the chat with Lorelai. Rory had contemplated going to visit her and do it face to face but the past few times she had done that, it hadn't ended well so she thought it way safer to do it on the phone.

----

Logan got up and dressed and headed to the office of the Seattle Times where he was meeting his father. He'd managed a few hours sleep but was still feeling tired, not exactly relishing the task ahead at the newspaper. He'd just got settled into the New York Times and was happy there – of course, that had something to do with Rory being there – but he also loved the work and the city. He was already looking forward to going back to what Mitchum had assured him could be his permanent base. When he arrived at the building, Mitchum was already waiting there for him.

"Logan, nice of you to join me"

Logan rolled his eyes at his father's passive aggressiveness. Even though they got on better these days than they ever really had, his dad still never passed up on an opportunity to torment him a little.

"All settled in at the hotel?" Mitchum asked. The company had booked Logan a suite for the time he was going to be there.

"As settled as I can be," Logan said.

"And Rory was okay about you coming?" Mitchum asked.

"She didn't have a lot of choice did she?" Logan said with a sigh "but yeah, she's been okay with it. Look, about Rory..." he started to say.

"Yes?"

"You should probably know that I asked her to marry me," Logan said looking at his father.