Maybe He Isn't that Bad After All

*My Pov- In Potions*

I hear the door open, making me look up. I see Harry and Ron standing in the doorway. "Ah. Harry, my boy, I was beginning to worry. We've brought someone with us, I see", Slughorn says.

"Ron Weasley, sir. But I'm dead awful at Potions, a menace, actually. So, I'm probably just gonna-", Ron starts, as he starts to turn towards the door, but Harry stops him.

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry is a friend of mine. Get your books out", Slughorn smiles, before he starts to continue. However, Harry speaks, before he can get a word out.

"Sorry, sir. I haven't got my book yet, nor has Ron", Harry sighs.

"Not to worry. Get what you want from the cupboard", Slughorn says, making them walk over to the cupboard. "Now, as I was saying, I prepared some concotions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?" I instantly raise my hand, making Slughorn smile. "I should've known.... Your mum was always one of the firsts to raise her hand, as well, Mrs. James", Slughorn smiles.

"I know. She tells me stories about her times here all the time", I say, before stepping forwards. "Now, that one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion. It's terribly tricky to make. And this is Amortentia... the most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently according to what attracts them. For example, I smell.... fresh mint toothpaste, a type of exotic cologne... and... richness", I say, when I realize who smells exactly like this. I quickly step back into my place, clenching my jaw to keep from screaming.

I can not believe who smells exactly like I was describing.....

Fuck my life.

From the corner of my eye, I see Draco watching me carefully, but I keep my eyes off him and on Slughorn.

"Now, Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible. But it does cause a powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room", Slughorn explains, before placing the lid on top of it.

"Sir? You haven't told us what's in that one", Katie, a classmate, says.

"Oh, yes. What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis", Slughorn says, as he unscrews the vile and holds it up. "But it is more commonly referred to as-"

"Liquid luck", I say, without thinking.

"Yes, Miss James. Liquid luck. Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you will find that all of your undeavors succeed", Slughorn says, making me smile. From the corner of my eye, I see Draco look up, curiously, making me glance over at him.

Hmm.... He looks almost... interested.

First time I've seen him interested since we got here.

"At least until the effects wear off", Slughorn adds. "So, this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vile of liquid luck to the student who, in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death... the recipes for which can be found on page 10 of your books. I should point out, however, only once did a student ever manage to brew a potion of sufficent quality to claim this prize. Nevertheless, good luck to you all. Let the brewing commence", Slughorn says, making everyone rush off to the cauldrons.

I glance around, when I see an empty cauldron, making me smile. I walk over to it and set my book down. I flip to page 10 and look down at the book.

I've made a perfect Draught of Living Death before, but I wanna see if these instructions are right or not.

I look at the first step, before scrunching my eyebrows together.

Wait... These aren't right. It says to cut one Sopophorus bean, when you're supposed to crush the beans with your blade cause it releases the juice better. I shut my book, before shrugging my shoulders.

I grab the beans, before crushing them with my blade and releasing the juice into the cauldron.

"How did you do that?" I look up to see Draco looking at me curiously. Wow... For once he's being... civil? Rather than sneering at me and saying I cheated or some shit.

"The instructions are wrong. You're supposed to crush the beans with your blade cause it releases the juice better, not cut them", I answer.

"How do you know?"

"Draco, my father experiments with potions and things like that for a living. I watched him make it, and I learn from watching. Plus I'm a quick learner", I explain, making Draco crack a very small smile.

Wait... Did he just smile?! Draco nods, before he goes back to his brewing.

Maybe he isn't that bad after all....