CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

(Ava's Pov)

I raked the comb through Drew's dark blonde locks of hair. He was peering up at me, a twinkle passing his eyes as I glanced at him with a smile. He looked adorable in the clothes I had dressed him in. A clean white, button up shirt, tucked into light jeans and on his feet he wore a pair of white slip on Vans.

"And there you go," I grinned, gently pinching his soft cheek. His smile grew and he reached out to mimic my actions, causing me to let out a laugh. I walked over to the little dresser table he had in his large bedroom and placed the comb back where I found it.

It was Ms Pattie's birthday today. She was turning fifty-two today. I had spent the entire morning helping the children get ready and dressed. Especially little Drew.

"So, are you excited for Grandma's birthday party?" I questioned him, turning back around to face him. He didn't respond, only his smile faltered. Mine faltered along.

"Drew?" I called, now wearing a frown.

He peered up at me, long lashes fanning his face. He sent me a shrug, making my frown deepen. Times like this, I really wished he would talk to me. I wanted to know what was running through his mind and why he shrugged in response to my question.

Walking over to him, I engulfed him into my arms and waited for him to wrap his around me, before I could safely leave the room.

"It will be fun, sweetheart." I whispered to him, closing the door behind me. "There will be sweets, cakes, juice, and all sorts of yummy food."

He half-smiled at me, silently listening as I spoke on about the party. I wasn't really sure if that was the food going to be served, for all I knew it could have had been themed catering. Like Indian. But I went with typical food served at parties. Especially if children were going to be present.

Carefully making my way down the stairs, I caught sight of Mason right at the bottom. He was sat on the last step, looking to be tying his shoe laces. 

"Excuse me, Mase." I hollered, catching his attention. He glanced up at me, before shuffling over to the side. Similar to Drew, he was dressed in the same exact outfit. Only, his shirt was black and his shoes were all-black slip on Vans.

"How's you leg?" I asked him, my bare heels now against the cool, wooden ground. 

"It's okay, I guess." He answered with a sigh. "But the Doc said I can't play basketball for whole other week."

I smiled at him in sympathy. "Don't you worry, Mase. The next week will fly by without you even noticing. Until then, why don't you try filling in your summer diary? And your other school work your teacher emailed your dad the other day."

"Other school work?" He arched a brow, shifting on his spot. "I don't recall any other school work..."

"Hmm, really? Is that so?" I played along. "Because I phoned her up yesterday and asked her about this other work.... Does a maths booklet ring a bell?"

He sighed, letting out a heavy groan. "This is why I really dislike Mrs Groobleneck. She's so annoying."

I chuckled, shaking my head. A sudden idea crossed my mind, which would be much of an advantage for Drew.

"Why don't you ask your dad for help? He promised he would, wouldn't he." I winked at him when he smirked.

"And this is why I like you." 

I laughed, glancing over at Drew who was watching in the interaction with a small smile of his own. The doorbell rang, making me furrow my brows in curiosity.