FNAF (Night 1)

(Daniel's POV)

If there's an ad in the paper asking for a night guard to watch over a pizza place, it's a decent deal. If the pizza place holds several animatronics, it's still a decent deal. If the animatronics are free to roam at night and have the potential to hunt you down and kill you, then it's not decent at all. Hey, at least they offer a decent pay for the shift, right?

Nope. $120.00 for 5 nights.

Any sane person would have the knowledge to scoff at that and flip the paper over to the sports section or something. Even the slightly insane people would. I guess that makes me really insane for accepting the job.

Oh, Daniel, how on Earth did you end up in this position? Were you violently held at gunpoint as you signed the contract? Did someone kidnap you and made you work there in exchange for your freedom?

Nah, I just really needed some money to buy the Nintendo Switch. So here I am, driving in my old and beaten up car at 11:40 at night towards a pizza place I had only been to this morning. The people there seemed friendly, but had a subtle look in their eyes that said, "Get us out of here."

About 15 minutes later, I pulled into the empty parking lot and turned off the engine, leaving the keys in the ignition switch so I could listen to the radio. It was drizzling a bit as I sat there, my car underneath the direct beam of light the streetlamp provided. I looked out at the road in front of me, gazing at the few cars that drove by. A gas station was visible through the rain on the other side of the street, still open at this awful hour.

I was pulled out of my dazed state by the distant church bells that struck midnight. I sighed and pulled the keys out, plunging my car into silence. After locking it and double checking that I did so, I walked the short distance that separated me from the alleyway that led to the side entrance to the building.

As I walked down the near-black expanse, I heard the scurrying of mice from behind the dumpsters. I shivered, pulling my coat tighter around me as I sped up towards the door. I fished into my back pocket and found the key, easily fitting it into the door handle and unlocking it. I opened it and took in the sight before me, which was pretty nasty to say the least. A few computer monitors sat at the edge of the desk, along with an empty soda cup and some crumpled paper. A fan was placed in the middle, somehow still turned on and swiveling around. How long has that been on? Cute, but creepy drawings of the animatronics lined the walls, along with a giant poster of the main animatronics. Apparently, the place got a new animatronic named Phil, who was supposed to resemble a human, but I didn't see any posters of him.

I took a deep breath and shut the door behind me, flicked on the lights and taking a seat at the desk. I fished into my pocket and pulled out a packet of mint gum, popping one into my mouth and viciously chewing it as I turned on the cameras. So far, everyone was in their proper place, so I turned off the cameras and pulled out my phone to check my Tumblr feed.

It was about 1:00 when I bothered to turn the cameras back on. I felt my stomach drop as I saw the bunny, Bonnie?, missing from the stage. I hurriedly flipped through all of the rooms until I found it in the supply closet. I breathed a sigh of relief and properly checked the rest of the rooms for any stray characters. Thankfully, the other animatronics were in their proper spots.

This time, I left the camera up as I went back on my phone. Yet I was blissfully unaware of any animatronic movements. At 2:00, before I could get to the cameras, I heard footsteps echoing down the hall to my right. I felt the adrenalin course through me as I leapt out of my chair and slammed my hand on the door switch, staring at the entrance to the hallway as it quickly disappeared behind the door. Before the door fully closed, I got a glimpse of metal in the dark abyss, causing me to leap away from the door.

I didn't release the breath I held until well after the door slammed down. I made my way back to my desk, flopping down in the chair as I looked at the cameras. It was clear that the animatronic was still outside my door due to the not-so-faint sound of metal squeaking. I waited around for a while before opening the door, relieved that the animatronic was gone.

2 hours and 3 sticks of gum later, I was still searching the cameras when once again, I heard footsteps down the hall on the right side. I jumped up and rushed to the door, closing it before the machine could get near me. I brushed off my hands, triumphant that I stopped the animatronic from entering and killing me.

Of course, I forgot to notice the sounds coming from the other hallway.

When I turned away from the door, I felt my heart stop as one of the animatronics stood inside the room, it's cold, metal eyes locked onto me. My breathing got faster as it walked towards me and I shielded my face with my hands and arms. Just as it reached an arm's length away from me, I closed my eyes and turned my head, bracing myself for the quick and painful death that many night guards have faced.

But it never came.

I opened my eyes and slowly lowered my arms, confused as to why the animatronic didn't snap me like a toothpick. The robot, very human-like, simply stared at me as he stood there. I looked him in his cold-metal eyes, which were blinking at me. This must be Phil, the one that they have no posters of. Phil cocked his head to the side as we both stood facing each other. I eyed him cautiously as I backed away from him towards the door that was still shut. I opened it, and quickly checked to make sure that no other robots were in the hall.

I turned back, relieved to find Phil still standing there. His stare was a bit unnerving, but I could deal with that if it meant that I didn't get killed.

"You're Phil, right?"

He straitened his head and nodded, his expression remaining the same.

"Ok. Umm... Why aren't you, like, squashing me like a bug?"

He raised his shoulders briefly, creating a shrill squeak as metal scraped against metal. I was still wary about him changing his mind and murdering me, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

"Well, thanks? I guess? I still don't trust you, though."

He blinked at me and turned his gaze to the cameras. He raised an arm and pointed at the monitors, inquiring as to what they were.

"Those are cameras. They let me look at all the rooms in the building from here."

He bent down to get a better look and clicked the mouse as he cycled through the rooms. After looking through all of them at least twice, he straightened back up and walked towards the door. He found the switch and pressed it, jumping back as the door suddenly closed. I failed to keep a smirk from passing my lips. Apparently, this animatronic wasn't the bravest.

He cautiously pressed the button again, opening the door back up. He then turned back to me, pointing at me as he stared at me.

"Me?"

He nodded.

"I'm Dan, if that's what you're asking."

He made a gesture that resembled something that meant "keep going," so I went on and told him a bit more about myself. As I got to telling him about my pets, he ran straight towards me, causing me to panic and cover my face once again. I knew he would come after me in the end and kill me! But as he reached me, he shoved me to the side, causing me to fall onto the floor. I looked up with wide eyes and watched as he slammed his metal hand down on the door switch, and I caught a glimpse of chicken feet as the door closed.

He turned back to me and held out a hand, offering to help me up. Taking it, I was swiftly hoisted to my feet, however, he didn't let go of my hand. I stared at him as we stood there, his hand clasping mine. We must've stood like that for a while, for we both turned our heads towards the back door as the church bells chimed 6:00. I felt him let go of my hand and I looked back at him. Though his face could only show one emotion, happy, I could tell he was sad. His head bowed downwards as I put on my coat and grabbed my keys and gum off the desk.

I watched as he slowly trudged out of the room, his metal footsteps echoing as he made his way down the hall. I knew I shouldn't have trusted him, but...

But something inside me told me he was different from the others.