Normal

For @velvetLiquorice since they suggested a coffee shop au, which I paired with the Pinterest prompt: A superhero's sidekick and a supervillain's henchman meet and fall in love at the hospital after their bosses grievously injure each other (but I changed it to injuring D&P). Enjoy!

Rubble littered the streets, perfuming the air with the smell of smoke and dust. Nearby civilians scattered as a 50ft tall mech tromped through the streets. Destroying everything in its path, the walking hunk of metal was being driven by the most dangerous yet somehow lamest supervillain the world had ever seen, The Annihilator. 

"What do you think, Dan?" the villain crowed as he grew dangerously more insane with each smashed building. "I think you've done well, sir," he meekly said. It wasn't like Dan hated what he saw, per se, but he loathed his boss with the passion of a thousand burning suns. He was only his errand boy and somewhat of a trophy or something to show off for the villain. Not only that, but Dan would always be pushed aside and end up getting injured. It came close several times to sending him to the hospital, but he dare not complain to the, again, most dangerous villain the world had ever seen. 

As if his thoughts dictated the future, a familiar turquoise-suited man blurred by the mech's window, followed by a slightly slower moving blur of the same color. "They're here," The Annihilator seethed. "Time to take 'em out once and for all."

Dan frantically groped around for something to grab onto as the mech lurched in pursuit of the two men. The Annihilator slammed his hand on the dashboard, triggering several buttons to light up and fire a random pattern of lasers and missiles. The two swiftly dodged the onslaught of weapons and flew by the window again. 

It went on like that for a while before they landed on the ground. "Don't you dare think you're winning," the villain screamed as he fired off a particularly large pulse laser. The superhero dodged swiftly, but as the sidekick lurched to the side, one of the beams caught him and pushed him forcefully back. Dan fought off the urge to scream "no!" as the man was slammed to the ground.

The Annihilator continued to follow the superhero, but Dan could not take his eyes off the injured sidekick. He knew he wasn't dead since their pulse laser was only able to stun, but the force that it contained must've hurt real bad. As they rotated around, Dan lost sight of the poor, forgotten man. 

He turned to the superhero, alarmed to find him armed with a particularly powerful grenade. "Time to flee," his boss said as he pressed the eject button. Since there was only one seat in the mech, Dan had no way of ejecting. In a flurry of panicked moves, Dan scrambled to the window and looked at the superhero. His arm was stretched a bit lower than the mech, indicating he had thrown the explosive. 

The clang of metal on metal echoed around the cabin, and Dan turned around. It was the grenade, which had fallen through the hole designed for The Annihilator's eject. 

"Sh-"

~

A faint glow through the darkness caught Dan's attention. What was it? Why couldn't he reach it? He ran towards it, perusing his only way out. He reached out desperately as the glow grew brighter and brighter. 

He quickly gasped as if he had been choked, starved of air for so long he could barely remember how to breath normally. The harsh glow of fluorescent lights made him squint as he tried to work out his surroundings. He was in a hospital, evidently, but he couldn't quite remember why. He tried to move, but a jolt of pain shot up his side, causing him to groan and lay still. Defeated, he sighed and turned his head to the person in the bed next to him. 

Despite it being heavily scratched, Dan knew he had seen that face before. Was it his weekly palates class? Or maybe the bakery downtown?

As if on cue, the man winced as he shifted, bringing him to crack open his eyes as he gazed upwards. "It's you!" Dan shakily gasped as the memories flooded back. It was Phil, the superhero's sidekick who was constantly being forgotten by his boss.