You're My Angel

Dan is an angel up in Heaven who is in charge of looking after people on Earth. His current human he's assigned to, Phil, has just gotten married and is happily living his life...for now.

(Dan's POV)

"Two weeks. Only two more weeks."

"Dan, for the love of everyone living up here with you, please stop saying that!" an exasperated Louise yelled. I grumbled a bit and looked back down from the edge of the pond, watching as the two lovebirds made out for the third time today. It makes me sick, especially since I know what will happen in - guess what? Two Weeks! It's not like I'm going to spoil it and tell you guys! What's the point of listening to this story if I just tell you what will happen?

"I can't help it, Louise! This is -ugh- why do I have to sit through all this when I can go down there and change it?" "Because you can't go down there and change it! That's someone's life you'd be messing with and you know how much trouble you'd be in if you did that." I huffed and turned back to where the couple now laid on the bed, ridding each other of their clothes. "Ok, ok, I'm done," I said as I stood up.

I followed Louise as she walked around the gardens, butterflies flitting in and out of the bushes we passed. "I know, Dan. It's frustrating not to be able to intervene and do the right thing whenever you want. It'll get easier the longer you're up here. This is only your second job as a guardian, so it's still going to be frustrating." I walked beside her in stony silence, trying to calm my anger as we walked in the bright sunlight.

"Why did I have to fall for him, though? Why do I always feel my heart flutter whenever he's praying at church? It's not like he's praying to me! I just..." "You just want him to know you're there. Well, when he dies, whenever that is, he'll be coming up here. However, he IS married. Keep that in mind." "I'm not too worried about that." "Why?" I just shook my head and kept on walking. "Dan, you're scaring me a bit." "Louise! I am not meddling with his life! Remember, I can see what happens up until his death. That's why I said I am not too worried."

~ Two weeks later~

"Oh, Phil. I remember when you took your first breath in the hospital. You were so cute, even as a baby, and babies are kind of wrinkly and unattractive when they first come out. But, that's just my opinion. I remember how you constantly said the word "light" when you first learned to talk. Not a lot of people have that as their first word, but that just makes you even more special. I got to see you grow throughout all the years, even fall in love with you as you turned 18. But then, you turned to her. You slowly fell in love with her as you went through college. I wish I could've saved you from her, but...

But now I look upon your body, stained red as she drags you into an alley. I watch sadly as she casts you onto a pile of garbage bags, rinsing her hands off in a nearby puddle to get rid of the blood. You're fighting for consciousness at this point, but it's no use, Phil. You were one of many who were taken too early in this world. You're becoming weaker and weaker in your futile attempts at surviving. It's worse than letting go, believe me. Let go, Phil. I'm waiting for you."

I murmured those last few words as he falls still and the view in front of me fades to black. "I best get his things," I said as I stood up and walked into a nearby building. I closed the door behind me and faced the rows upon rows of white robes and sandals. I finally found ones that would fit him after checking about two dozen shelves and I then went over to the front gates of heaven and waited. He should be here any second.

Just as I had thought, the figure of a boy materialized on the other side of the gates. He was stark naked, unless you count a pair of feathery white wings that sprouted from his back. His eyes were closed until he fully materialized. Then, he opened his bright blue orbs and looked around. He finally laid his gaze on me, becoming all the more confused. "Have we met?"