28.

I can teach you how to play drums if you want. Simple as ABC...times infinity...squared. - Bruno Mars

I was sat on my old bed in my old room. It was homely but at the same time felt like I was in a strangers room.

I stood up and went to the side of my room where my old Dell computer lay dormant and collecting dust. All the late nights I had spent on this hunk of junk for my high school newspaper. Looking up I saw pages of my articles from the newspaper pinned to the wall along with some pictures of the life I used to have.

I only had so little time before the guests would start arriving so I took my phone out of my pocket and dialed the one number I knew that held the key to keeping me sane for the next couple of hours.

"I was starting to doubt they had reception in Iowa." Bruno's familiar voice picked up after a few rings.

I sighed in relief and fell into my old computer chair. "Sorry about that, I had to retell the last two years of my life to my mother. Then help her make dinner for like fifteen people."

"Welcome Back party?"

"Something like that. I don't even know why I'm surprised my mom did this" I said shaking my head at my own stupidity for not seeing this coming.

"Thinking about it now...my mom's probably going to do that to me too."

"Careful, Mr.-No.1-in-the-country. She might make you sing." I joked but who knew, maybe she would do that. Bruno had told me about his mother a few times, she sounded wonderful and like a stark contrast to mine.

"The horror." His laughter chimed from my phone. "What's it like there?"

"Cold." I replied with a dead tone. "They say it won't snow on Christmas but I think it will...you know I had to lie to her and say I don't eat sushi."

"...why?" I can hear the laughter in his voice.

"Because she'd disapprove: it's not real food, Valena, it's raw." I mocked.

"She doesn't know what she's missing out on, Tina – wait. Valena...Valena?"

I groaned at my slip up but it was forgotten as I heard some commotion from his side of the line.

"Everything alright there?" I asked.

"...yeah...I'm just staying at Jamie's tonight, something about making sure we all get on the plane in one piece..."

Not a surprise. Bruno wasn't the best at navigation or time keeping. Probably the reason for having a voice activating navigation system and being a speedy reckless driver.

Jamie? "Your sister?"  I had heard about her too but I didn't know she lived in L.A. I just assumed she lived in Hawaii with the rest of his family.

"That's the one...she just got back from traveling the other day. She's been gone for the best part of a year..." There was murmuring in the background. "Yes, we're talking about you." His voice became faint so he must be talking to Jamie. "Yeah, I'm talking to Tina..."

I stilled, he told her about me?

"Hi Tina!" A voice in background voice shouted to me from Bruno's end.

"Tell her I said hi." I told Bruno.

He's told his sister about me...

"Tina said what's gwaning?"