Ezra's Birthday

Ezra's pov

Today's the day I always hated. The day when my parents got taken. It's also the worst day of the year. Today's the day the Empire took over the galaxy, also known as Empire day.

I shouldn't really be excited about today. But for some reason, I want to celebrate my birthday. I haven't done anything for today because I was a street rat and there was no one who I loved with me to celebrate it with.

But now since I'm with the crew, I feel like I finally have.....friends to celebrate my birthday with. I can't say family yet. They do act the roles of a normal family, but I don't feel comfortable saying it just yet.

They don't know about my birthday being today, so I'll have to tell them.

I step out of my room awkwardly and walk into the common room. I was about to open the door, but then had second thoughts.

Maybe I shouldn't tell them. They probably wouldn't want to waste their time on me.

I was going to walk back into my room, but then determination crossed my mind.

I'm going to do it. It's the crew, they would love to celebrate my birthday.

I walked back to the door, but then stopped in my tracks.

Maybe I should only tell Kanan. What if he is the only one that would care about my birthday? We could still celebrate it.

I then turn back around and go to Kanan's door. I was about to open it, till I realized my shoes were untied.

I bend down and realize I don't have shoe laces. I'm just stalling now.

You know what? I'm going to tell Kanan first, then the crew. Everyone should be able to celebrate my birthday with me. I'm definitely going to do this!!!

"Ezra?"

I jump and turn around to see Kanan. Oh.....he's not in his room.

"Hey Kanan." I say trying to sound casual.

"Why are you standing by my door?" He asks.

It's now or never. "I wanted to tell you something."

"Oh ok, you could tell me after the mission." He says.

I froze. "Mission?"

"Yeah, Vizago wants us to do an important mission." Kanan says.

"Oh." Is all I could say.

Maybe the mission will only last an hour or two. We could still celebrate it after.

"How long is the mission?" I ask.

"Well, the planet will take a few hours to get there. To get the cargo we need, will take some time too. And when we head back here, it will probably be the end of the day." He says.

I hide my disappointment. So much for celebrating my birthday for once. No, I'm not giving up yet. Maybe the mission could be on another day.

"Is there any chance we could reschedule it?" I ask.

"Reschedule it? Ezra, Vizago is offering us credits that will last us over a year. We need to do this today, and only today." Kanan says in a serious tone.

I look down ashamed. Maybe we could........or maybe.......I'm all out of ideas. Why did I ever think I could enjoy my birthday? It's never a good day.

"You should get some rest, we are leaving soon." He says.

"Just......just leave without me." I mumble.