Chapter Two: Unstable

Nyla climbed on top of Devon and kissed him slowly.

Nyla: You know, I've been here for three days and we still haven't done anything.

Devon: I don't want to do anything.

Nyla: And why is that?

Devon: Because nothing needs to be done right now. You need to calm down and control yourself.

Nyla: Boy I am controlling myself. Don't talk to me like I'm some type of hoe!

Devon: I'm not.

She climbed off of him and sat next to him instead.

Nyla: I miss you a lot and I know I've changed--

Devon: You damn right about that.

Nyla: Let me finish!

She continued.

Nyla: I know I've changed, but just hear me out.

Devon crossed his arms a paid close attention.

Nyla: I know I've gotten a little out of control, okay? I still need you in my life. These past couple of years have been rough for me and I'm really trying to get back on the right track. Please give me a chance. I still love you.

Devon: I still love you too.

He kissed her dead on the lips then suddenly, there was a knock at the door.

Devon answered.

Nyla heard whispering and she was confused as to what it was. The voice was familiar. The words 'baby' and 'tonight' were pulled out of the conversation by Nyla's hearing. Devon closed the door and kept Nyla company once again.

Nyla: And who was that?

Devon didn't say anything.

Nyla: Who was it Devon?!

He remained quiet. She threw a pillow at his head.

Nyla: I asked you a question!

He still said nothing. The name of the girl she thought it was stood on the tip of her tongue, but she couldn't manage to make it jump off. She thought harder. Devon looked at her.

Nyla: Whitney?

Devon: What?

Nyla: Was that Whitney?

Devon: Chill Ny.

Nyla: Was that Whitney?!

Devon was getting frustrated.

Devon: Yes it was Whitney! It was Whitney! Damn! Now that you know the truth, are you satisfied?!

She slapped him.

Nyla: So y'all been fucking?! Huh?

Devon held his left cheek with his left hand.

Devon: You been fucking?!

Nyla was silenced. Of course she had been. He knew it. He hit a low blow with that comment and he should've known. She refused to cry in front of him anymore.

Nyla: You know what? I'm sorry for coming here Devon. It's obvious that you've moved on.

She paused because she felt the tears coming.

Devon: Ny--

Nyla: No, if you want to move on then do so! Nobody is forcing you to stay.

Devon grabbed her by her arm while she was packing her things.

Devon: I told you I love you. I plan on marrying you one day. Now just isn't the right time.

Nyla snatched away and continued what she was doing.

Nyla: Well we'll keep in touch.

She stormed out of the dormitory to her car with all of her belongings. The car was started immediately and she took off. She didn't know where exactly to go next. As many times as Penny stayed at her house, she figured Penny would do the same for her.

***

In no time she stood on Penny's doorstep in hesitation to ring the doorbell. The house was unusually quiet. Penny answered. Penny now had midnight blue hair and a tongue piercing. Instead of the bob, she had the sides of her head shaved, not bald, with a trim. The top of her hair was curly that dove into a bang at the front.

Penny: Nyla?

Penny wasn't the only one that changed. Nyla changed too. Nyla stood there with layered flat ironed honey blonde hair and an industrial piercing in her ear, also known as 'the bar'. The two girl transformed into rebels over the years.

Nyla: Can I stay here for a while?

Penny: Yeah, we don't mind.

Nyla stepped into the usually clean house.

Nyla: It's so quiet in here.

Penny: Yeah, my daddy finally left us. My mama is so happy now. We all are.

Nyla: That's good.

Penny: Why you need somewhere to stay?

Nyla: Mama put me out for sneaking out.

Penny shook her head.

Penny: You and Mark still talk?

Nyla: Kind of. Been a couple of days. Why?

Penny: I saw him and Treasure together the other day.

Nyla: Seriously?!

Penny: She been liking him for a while though.

The two girls walked to the backyard and Penny pulled out a pack of cigs and an ounce of weed.

Nyla: Mama know you doing that?

Penny: Hell no.

Nyla: Where is she?

Penny: I don't know. Out.

Nyla felt that something about Penny changed besides her outer appearance. Her personality changed as well. She seemed more blunt and careless about most things that would've bothered her a while ago.

Nyla: You going to school tomorrow?

Penny: Yeah, can I ride with you?

Nyla nodded her head. The girls sat outside for about an hour or two like they used to do when they were younger. Yolanda, Penny's mother, came home.

Yolanda: Penny!

Penny: Yes mama?

Yolanda: Why you ain't heat up this food like I told you to?

Penny: Sorry, I forgot.

Penny walked into the kitchen and Nyla followed behind. Penny took the pot of dumplings out of the fridge and put them on the stove.

The night shortly ended. Everyone was sleep after dinner and a school day was ahead of both of the girls. Considering they already missed two days, they had a lot to make up for. Nyla had not talked to Mark in days, she knew he would be pissed of at her tomorrow, but she didn't care.