Chapter 27

I shrugged the idea off. I mean, what was I even thinking? That wasn’t possible even in an alternate universe. Jake was one of the nicest persons I knew. He told me he had never dated anyone before Stacy and I was the only one he ever fell in love with. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t get this idea off my head.

Harry bid me off at the airport.

“I hope I will see you again soon too. And then, I’ll show you real Vegas.” He winked and hugged me.

“In your dreams.” I laughed. “Just kidding, come here.” I hugged him back.

He slipped his number in before saying good bye. That was it. Jane was happy with Tyler. Everything seemed perfect, except for me.

Alex and Jake were supposed to come a day after. I hadn’t told them I’d be coming today. I wanted some time alone. When I reached home and was just outside the door, I heard some laughter inside. It was Jake’s. Did his flight reach early?  I peeped through the window to see him drunk with his friends.

“Dude how’s everything with Katy?” Someone asked.

I froze to listen to the answer. I wanted to know what he thought of me. And I decided to surprise him.

“I want my $1000 first.” Jake replied.

“For what?”

“I won the bet.” Why was he distracting from the topic? Who cares about some stupid bet they probably made over a game of basketball or something? I wanted to know what he really thought of me.

“No you didn’t. Not yet.” A hulky guy laughed.

“How dare you?” Jake got violent suddenly. He held the guy by his collar.

“Stop it, guys.” Someone intervened. “Gerry is right. You haven’t won the bet.”

“What the hell? The bet was to get that Katy girl. And I did.” Jake spoke through clenched teeth.

Wait. What? Did I just hear that right? I couldn’t believe what I just heard.

“No dude. The bet was to get her in bed with you which we don’t think you have accomplished yet.”

“As a matter of fact, we did do it.” Why the hell was he lying?

“Really? We want evidence.”

“Guys? Won’t you even believe me now? I did show you tapes earlier when I was with Lana, Stacy, Julia……………. The camera broke this time. I am always the winner in these bets. No girl has ever been able to resist my charm. My bed has always been welcome to the ladies.” He smirked. “I would’ve won the bet the first night only if that dumb Stacy hadn’t come. And she’s so stupid. I mean that night I turned off the main switch and practically went to first base with her and then told her I confused her with her sister. I even tried my best on the first date but she wasn’t ready. That’s why I hate it when you pick small town girls for me.”

“If you have already got it from her, why didn’t you break up yet? We all know how quick you are to dump a girl after……….”

“I hadn’t expected my bro would fall for her too. And now that I own her, I can control Alex in any way I want to. Alex feels so guilty for being in love with her. He is so distracted. This slow poison would kill him. And then I would be the only heir of Parkers. All the money would be mine.”

I couldn’t listen anymore. My throat choked. Was it all a lie? A stupid bet? Every moment of it? My head started spinning. Tears filled my eyes and my vision got blurry. I wanted to scream. Is that why Lana lost her mental balance? Did he do the same to her? To every girl who fell in love with him?

I decided to not take it anymore. I barged in the door.

{ Vote if you liked what you read. It is a great motivation for me. I'll love you forever. Leave your comments down below to let me know what you think, and add it to your reading list/follow me so you don't miss out on the next update! <3 xoxo }